|Follow PSU Women's Volleyball:||Follow @PennStateVBALL|
Dec. 15, 2007
- Sophomore outside hitter Megan Hodge becomes Penn State's fourth National Championship Most Outstanding Player, joining Terri Zemaitis in 1997 and Lauren Cacciamani in 1998 and 1999.
- Christa Harmotto just missed claiming the NCAA Tournament hitting percentage record (.564), attacking at a .548 clip with 3.00 kills per game through 20 games. Freshman Arielle Wilson fell just shy of the record as well with 68 total attacks (minimum for the record is 75), hitting .618 with 2.56 kills per game in 18 games.
-Penn State tied the NCAA record for service aces in an NCAA Tournament with 43 in six matches, equaling the 1998 Long Beach State team who defeated Penn State for the national title.
- Penn State shattered the NCAA Tournament record for team hitting percentage, besting the previous mark of .369 set by the 1995 Long Beach State team. The 2007 Nittany Lions attacked at a combined .424 clip while averaging 16.75 kills per game through six matches.
- Megan Hodge recorded a season-high 26 kills in the NCAA Championship match against Stanford.
- Nicole Fawcett recorded 19 kills and had two service aces in the NCAA Championship match against Stanford, a day before her 21st birthday.
- Alisha Glass dished out a match-high 65 assists, just shy of her career high of 69 assists, set in the first meeting with Stanford this season on Sept. 15 in New Haven, Conn.
- Roberta Holehouse led all players with 17 digs, her 56th double-digit dig match over the last two seasons.
- The last four meetings between Penn State and Stanford have gone to five games and the overall series is tied at 5-5, beginning in 1992. The two teams also are even in NCAA play at 2-2, as the Nittany Lions defeated the Cardinal in 1999 to give Penn State its first national championship.
- Penn State improves to 54-25 all-time in the NCAA Tournament.
- Since the NCAA Championship expanded to 64 teams in 1998, the team who was ranked No. 1 in the final regular-season AVCA poll has captured the national championship seven times.
- The 2007 NCAA title in women's volleyball is the third NCAA Championship in 2007 for Penn State, as both the men's gymnastics team and fencing squad captured the prize in the spring. The Nittany Lions have won 61 national championships all-time.
-The championship match was witnessed by 13,631 fans at Arco Arena, the
second largest crowd ever to witness an NCAA Women¹s Volleyball Championship
match. The 26,679 two-day total attendance for the championship also ranks
- Top Videos
Penn State Comes Up Short in NCAA Regional Semifinals
Washington Named Academic All-American
No. 7 Penn State, Hawaii Meet in NCAA Regional Semifinals
NCAA Volleyball Tournament Content Central: Lions Head to Regionals
Five Earn AVCA All-Northeast Region Honors
BLOG: A Team Effort Sends Nittany Lions to NCAA Regionals
No. 7 Penn State Downs Dayton, Advances to NCAA Regionals
Penn State, Dayton Meet in NCAA Second Round