Penn State Women¡¯s Tennis Tops Temple in Home Opener
STATE COLLEGE, Pa., February 15, 2002 The No. 65 Penn State womens tennis team recorded its first win of the spring season with a 5-2 victory over Temple this evening in the home opener at the Penn State Tennis Center. The Lady Lions won two of three doubles matches to earn the doubles point before going on to prevail in four of the six singles matches to seal the victory and snap a three-match losing streak.
Freshman Sarah Spence (Calgary, Alberta) teamed up with sophomore Leigh Ann Merryman (Coto de Caza, Calif.) in doubles action to defeat Lauren Verrall and Nina Kumar 8-3, and register Penn States first victory of the match. Veteran Judy Wang (Eagan, Minn.) then joined forces with freshman Megan Marton (Phoenix, Ariz.) to knock off Rene Deyzel and Elisa Jimenez 8-2, and secure a 1-0 lead for the Lady Lions.
In singles play, Marton and Wang came through again for Penn State, earning straight set victories at the No. 3 and 4 positions, respectively. Merryman, who has been hot of late, clinched the Lady Lions triumph with her third straight win at the No. 5 position. Spence rounded out the scoring for Penn State as she shut out Elisa Jimenez in the No. 6 battle.
Penn States third-year head coach Buffy Baker was happy to get the crucial win. Its great to be home and to get a win under our belts, said Baker.
With the victory, the Lady Lions improved to 1-3 overall and 0-1 in the Big Ten. Penn State will host Cornell tomorrow at 11 a.m. at the Penn State Tennis Center.
Penn State 5, Temple 2
1) Danira Penic (TU) def. Rebecca Ho (PSU) 6-1, 6-3
2) Lara Ercegovic (TU) def. Maaria Husain (PSU) 6-4, 6-2
3) Megan Marton (PSU) def. Lauren Verrall (TU) 6-3, 6-2
4) Judy Wang (PSU) def. Nina Kumar (TU) 6-1, 6-0
5) Leigh Ann Merryman (PSU) def. Rene Deyzel (TU) 6-1, 6-0
6) Sarah Spence (PSU) def. Elisa Jimenez (TU) 6-0, 6-0
1) Penic/Ercegovic (TU) def. Ho/Janelle Perez (PSU) 8-4
2) Spence/Merryman (PSU) def. Verrall/Kumar (TU) 8-3
3) Wang/Marton (PSU) def. Deyzel/Jimenez (TU) 8-2