|Follow PSU Women's Tennis:||Follow @PennStateWTEN|
LAKE NONA, FLA.-- The Penn State women’s tennis team fell to Memphis, 6-1. Despite pushing five singles matches to three sets, the team couldn’t rally past Memphis.
In doubles, Bennett Dunn (Orlando, Fla.) and Shannon Hanley (Kensington, Md.) fell to Anki Wind and Kathy Cao, 6-3. Samantha Smith (Cary, N.C.) and Gabby O’Gorman (Gunnedah, N.S. Wales, Australia) were up 5-1, in their match against, Hanna Sohn and Alisha Reayer, that went unfinished. Hanna Wikberg (Stockholm, Sweden) and Frederikke Svarre (Copenhagen, Denmark) fell to Claire Sullivan, and Jo Cao, 6-4.
In Singles, the team went 1-5, however the team pushed five of those matches into the third set. O’Gorman fell to Wind, 6-4, 7-6(4). Svarre pushed her match to the end, falling 2-6, 6-4, 6-4, against Sohn. Hanley was locked in a battle with Laura Bente, ultimately falling 6-4, 3-6, 6-2. Smith faced off with Reayer in a tight match, with Reayer coming out with a, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, win. Dunn had the lone singles win of the day over Sullivan, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4. Wikberg was in her match till the end against, K. Cao, but fell, 5-7, 6-3, 6-4.
“The scores tell a lot from today’s match,” said head coach Chris Cagle. “We lost 6-1, but we lost the doubles on a deuce point and had five three setters in singles. Both teams competed hard on a windy day and we just did not take advantage of enough of our opportunities. We are getting better in many areas and need to keep battling to get the payoff. Saturday is another opportunity for us against UCF.”
The team is now 5-6 on the season and 0-1 in the Big Ten. Up next, the Nittany Lions will continue play at the USTA National Campus with a match against No. 25 UCF on Saturday, Mar. 10 at 12:00 p.m.
Keep up with the Penn State women's tennis team at GoPSUsports.com. For continued updates throughout the year, make sure to `like' our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pennstatewten and follow our twitter @pennstateWTEN.
- Anki Wind (MEM) def. Gabby O’Gorman (PSU) 6-4, 7-6(4)
- Hanna Sohn (MEM) def. Frederikke Svarre (PSU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
- Laura Bente (MEM) def. Shannon Hanley (PSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
- Alisha Reayer (MEM) def. Samantha Smith (PSU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
- Bennett Dunn (PSU) def. Claire Sullivan (MEM) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
- Kathy Cao (MEM) def. Hanna Wikberg (PSU) 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
- Anki Wind/Kathy Cao (MEM) def. Bennett Dunn/Shannon Hanley 6-3
- Hanna Sohn/Alisha Reayer (MEM) vs. Samantha Smith/Gabby O’Gorman (PSU) 5-1, unfinished
- Claire Sullivan/Jo Cao (MEM) def. Hanna Wikberg/Frederikke Svarre (PSU) 6-4