|Follow PSU Women's Tennis:||Follow @PennStateWTEN|
UNIVERSITY PARK, PA.-- The Penn State women’s tennis team took on Marshall, winning 5-2. A shorthanded Marshall team, with only five players, proved no match for Penn State.
In doubles, only two matches took place, with Marshall only being able to field two teams. Bennett Dunn (Orlando, Fla.) and Shannon Hanley (Kensington, Md.) handled Anna Smith and Stephanie Smith, 6-1. Olivia Rohrbacher (Sandusky, Ohio) and Samantha Smith (Cary, N.C.) dominated Maddie Silver and Ana Marhuenda, 6-0.
Singles played out in favor of the Lions as well, with the team going 3-2. Gabby O’Gorman (Gunnedah, N.S. Wales, Australia) defeated S. Smith, 6-2, 7-6. Frederikke Svarre (Copenhagen, Denmark) fell to Silver, 7-6, 6-2. Hanley went to three sets with Marija Bogicevic ultimately falling, 7-5, 4-6, 10-6. Smith clinched the match win against Marshall with a win against A. Smith, 6-2, 6-4. Dunn finished things off with a win over Ana Marhuenda, 6-1, 6-1.
“I thought we started out fast with the doubles today, I was really happy with how we played there at one and two,” said head coach Chris Cagle. “I think that momentum carried over into our singles. We’ve been working really hard to get better each day and that showed today. That will continue to be a theme as we get back to work to prepare for Pittsburgh next weekend.”
The Nittany Lions improved to 4-2 on the season with the win against Marshall. The team will be back in action against in-state rival, Pittsburgh, on Sunday, Feb. 18 at 11 a.m.
Keep up with the Penn State women's tennis team at GoPSUsports.com. For continued updates throughout the year, make sure to `like' our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pennstatewten and follow our twitter @pennstateWTEN.
- Gabby O'Gorman (PSU) def. Stephanie Smith (MAR) 6-2, 7-6
- Maddie Silver (MAR) def. Frederikke Svarre (PSU) 7-6, 6-2
- Marija Bogicevic (MAR) def. Shannon Hanley (PSU) 5-7, 6-4, 10-6
- Samantha Smith (PSU) def. Anna Smith (MAR) 6-2, 6-4
- Bennett Dunn (PSU) def. Ana Marhuenda (MAR) 6-1, 6-1
- Olivia Rohrbacher (PSU) def. No player (MAR), by default
- Bennett Dunn/Shannon Hanley (PSU) def. Anna Smith/Stephanie Smith (MAR) 6-1
- Olivia Rohrbacher/Samantha Smith (PSU) def. Maddie Silver/Ana Marhuenda (MAR) 6-0
- Hanna Wikberg/Frederikke Svarre (PSU) def. No player/No player (MAR), by default