|Follow PSU Women's Tennis:||Follow @PennStateWTEN|
UNIVERSITY PARK, PA.-- The Penn State women’s tennis team took on the JMU Dukes in a tightly contested match, falling 6-1. The team went 1-2 in doubles and 1-5 in singles.
In doubles, the team went 1-2. After taking two matches to the tiebreak the Nittany Lions lost the doubles point. Bennett Dunn (Orlando, Fla.) and Shannon Hanley (Kensington, Md.) got the lone win in doubles against Elizabeth Norman and Kimmy Herrock, 6-3. Frederikke Svarre (Copenhagen, Denmark) and Olivia Rohrbacher (Sandusky, Ohio) fell in a tightly contested match against Anna Makarova and Emma Petersen, 7-6. Samantha Smith (Cary, N.C.) and Gabby O’Gorman (Gunnedah, N.S. Wales, Australia) battled with Jona Roka and Dylan Owens till the end but ultimately lost, 7-6.
Despite several close matches, the team went 1-5 in singles. O’Gorman went to three sets with Roka and fell 5-7, 6-2, 6-3. Svarre also took her match to three sets but fell to Norman, 2-6, 6-2, 6-0. Hanley was in a tight match with Makarova, but lost 6-3, 7-6. Smith was the third member of the team to take her match to the third set ultimately losing to Petersen 2-6, 6-2, 6-2. Dunn was winning when Herrock retired, 7-6, 3-1. Rohrbacher lost to Flement 6-7, 6-4, 12-10.
“JMU played well today to come out on top 6-1,” said head coach Chris Cagle. “There are a few areas that we can take notice of from today, that we need to improve in when we get back to practice. I’m disappointed with the overall score, but not our team effort. Just a few areas we need to sure up and it’ll lead to us closing out these close sets and matches.”
Up next, the Lions will take on Marshall at home in the Indoor Tennis Center Sunday, Feb. 11 at 11:00 a.m.
Keep up with the Penn State women's tennis team at GoPSUsports.com. For continued updates throughout the year, make sure to `like' our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pennstatewten and follow our twitter @pennstateWTEN.
- Bennett Dunn/Shannon Hanley (PSU) def. Elizabeth Norman/Kimmy Herrock (JMU) 6-3
- Anna Makarova/Emma Petersen (JMU) def. Frederikke Svarre/Olivia Rohrbacher (PSU) 7-6
- Jona Roka/Dylan Owens (JMU) def. Samantha Smith/Gabby O'Gorman (PSU) 7-6
- Jona Roka (JMU) def. Gabby O'Gorman (PSU) 5-7, 6-2, 6-3
- Elizabeth Norman (JMU) def. Frederikke Svarre (PSU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-0
- Anna Makarova (JMU) def. Shannon Hanley (PSU) 6-3, 7-6
- Emma Petersen (JMU) def. Samantha Smith (PSU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
- Diane Flement (JMU) def. Olivia Rohrbacher (PSU) 6-7, 6-4, 12-10
- Bennett Dunn (PSU) def. Kimmy Herrock (JMU) 7-6, 3-1, retired