|Follow PSU Women's Tennis:||Follow @PennStateWTEN|
UNIVERSITY PARK, PA.-- The Penn State women’s tennis lost its first match of the season against a strong Columbia team, 5-2. The team went 1-2 in doubles and 2-4 in singles.
The Nittany Lions started out with a tough loss to Columbia for the doubles point. The Lions went 1-2 overall in doubles. On court one, Bennett Dunn (Orlando, Fla.) and Shannon Hanley (Kensington, Md.) fell to Adi Milstein and Christie Wan 6-2. Frederikke Svarre (Copenhagen, Denmark) and Olivia Rohrbacher (Sandusky, Ohio) took it all the way to the tie-break but fell 7-6 (7-5). Samantha Smith (Cary, N.C.) and Gabby O’Gorman (Gunnedah, N.S. Wales, Australia) got the lone win, defeating Ali Pollack and Andrea Kevakian 6-2.
In singles, O’Gorman picked up a strong win against Wan 6-4, 6-1. Svarre lost in three sets to Kerr, 3-6, 6-2, 6-3. Hanley easily dispatched Hu 6-3, 6-3. Smith was locked in a tough battle against Kevakian and ultimately fell, 6-1, 3-6, 6-2. Dunn fell to Pollack 6-3, 6-3. Rohrbacher’s match finished with her retiring due injury against Milstein, 3-6, 6-3, retired.
“Another close match, obviously the doubles point played a key part in tonight’s match,” said head coach Chris Cagle. “We had match point in doubles, along with other opportunities, but that was only one point. If you look at the singles scores, we had chances and opportunities on a number of courts. We took some of those opportunities, but just not enough of them. Now we will find out what we’re made of as we turn around for a good match on Sunday against JMU.”
The Nittany Lions are now 3-1 on the season after this first loss against Columbia. The team will be back in action this Sunday, Feb. 4 at 12:00 p.m. against JMU.
Keep up with the Penn State women's tennis team at GoPSUsports.com. For continued updates throughout the year, make sure to `like' our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pennstatewten and follow our twitter @pennstateWTEN.
- Adi Milstein/Christie Wan (COL) def. Bennett Dunn/Shannon Hanley (PSU) 6-2
- Jennifer Kerr/Sarah Hu (COL) def. Frederikke Svarre/Olivia Rohrbacher (PSU) 7-6 (7-5)
- Samantha Smith/Gabby O'Gorman (PSU) def. Ali Pollack/Andrea Kevakian (COL) 6-2
- Gabby O'Gorman (PSU) def. Christie Wan (COL) 6-4, 6-1
- Jennifer Kerr (COL) def. Frederikke Svarre (PSU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
- Shannon Hanley (PSU) def. Sarah Hu (COL) 6-3, 6-3
- Andrea Kevakian (COL) def. Samantha Smith (PSU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
- Ali Pollack (COL) def. Bennett Dunn (PSU) 6-3, 6-3
- Adi Milstein (COL) def. Olivia Rohrbacher (PSU) 3-6, 6-3, retired