|Follow PSU Women's Tennis:||Follow @PennStateWTEN|
UNIVERSITY PARK, PA.--The Penn State women's tennis team defeated Navy 4-3 in the season opener. The team went 4-2 in singles and 1-2 in doubles.
Gabby O'Gorman (Gunnedah, New South Wales, Australia), Samantha Smith (Cary, N.C.), Bennett Dunn (Orlando, Fla.) and Hanna Wikberg (Stockholm, Sweden) all recorded singles victories. O'Gorman defeated Amanda Keller 4-6, 6-3, 6-3. Smith won against Carlee Conway 6-2, 6-3. Dunn defeated Josie Rogers 6-2, 1-6, 6-3. Wikberg defeated Caludia Mackenzie 5-7, 6-4, 6-4.
Navy won in two of the three doubles matches. Dunn/Hanley fell to Keller/Hodge 7-6. Smith/O'Gorman fell to Mackenzie/Louie-Meadors 6-3. Svarre/Wikberg got the lone doubles win defeating Conway/Rico 6-3.
"Our team learned a lot today about ourselves," said head coach Chris Cagle. "We showed we can compete and come back. We also saw some areas that we will work on over the next few weeks to improve. It was great to get a road win to start the season and now we will look to build on that in our home opener in a few weeks."
The Nittany Lions return to Sarni for the home opener on Friday, Jan. 26 at 5:30 p.m. against Towson.
Keep up with the Penn State women's tennis team at GoPSUsports.com. For continued updates throughout the year, make sure to `like' our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pennstatewten and follow our twitter @pennstateWTEN.
1. Keller/Hodge (Navy) def. Dunn/Hanley 7-6
2. Mackenzie/Louie-Meadors (Navy) def. Smith/O'Gorman 6-3.
3. Svarre/Wikberg (PSU) def. Conway/Rico 6-3
1. O'Gorman (PSU) def. Keller 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. Louie-Meadors (Navy) def. Hanley 6-2, 6-3
3. Wreder (Navy) def. Svarre 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
4. Smith (PSU) def. Conway 6-2, 6-3
5. Dunn (PSU) def. Rogers 6-2, 1-6, 6-3
6. Wikberg (PSU) def. Mackenzie 5-7, 6-4, 6-4