|Follow PSU Women's Soccer:||Follow @PennStateWSOC|
Nov. 18, 2011
PENN STATE 4, MARQUETTE 1 -- NOTES
- Penn State won its first NCAA Second Round Match since 2007, snapping a two-game skid.
- PSU snapped a four-game skid against Big East teams in the NCAA Tournament by defeating Marquette
- The Nittany Lions improved to 3-2-1 all-time in the NCAA Tournament at a neutral site, going 2-0-1 since 2005.
- Penn State won its 21st game Friday night, tied for third-most in school history (1998, 1999, 2001). If PSU wins Sunday, they'll match the 2000 squad with 22 victories.
- PSU's four goals were the most in an NCAA match since a 5-0 victory over Colgate in 2009. The four tallies were the most goals scored by Penn State in a non-home NCAA contest in school history (previous high was 2)
- Marquette allowed the most goals in a single game since a 5-0 loss at Connecticut on Sept. 30, 2007
- Last time Marquette allowed two goals in a half was to Notre Dame on Sept. 25, 2011 in a 3-2 victory.
- Christine Nairn moved into a tie of third place in the PSU single-season record book for most assists, matching Christie Welsh's 1999 mark of 13.
- Maya Hayes moved into fourth all-time in the PSU single-season record book for points in a season with 66, one behind Welsh's 67 (1999).
- Hayes's 29 goals are the most by any NCAA Division I student-athlete since 2005.
- Emma Thomson tallied her first game-winning goal since Sept. 20, 2009 vs. James Madison in a 2-0 victory at Jeffrey Field.
- Goalkeeper Erin McNulty registered her 21st win on Friday, tying her with Emily Oleksiuk (1999) for second in a single-season at Penn State. She is one win away from tying the school record set by Erin McLeod in 2005.
- Friday represented the 16th game that Penn State never trailed in a match
- The last Nittany Lion before Nairn to register multiple assists in a game was Emily Hurd with her pair vs. Iowa in a 4-0 win on Oct. 16, 2011.
- Nairn moved into a tie for fifth in PSU's all-time chart for career assists with Stephanie Smith at 29.
- Penn State tallied five assists on Friday, increasing the single-season school record to 84 on 68 goals. Penn State has assisted 64 of the 68 markers in 2011.
- The 12th-ranked Golden Eagles are Penn State's first win over a ranked team in the NCAA Tournament since Nov. 17, 2006 when PSU downed No. 13 Boston College, 1-0, in University Park, Pa.
- PSU defeated its first ranked team since Sept. 25, 2011, a 1-0 win over then-22nd ranked Illinois.
- Penn State improved to 10-4-0 all-time in the NCAA Second Round and 7-4-0 all-time vs. the Big East in the NCAA Tourney.
- PSU improved to 17-0-0 when scoring the first goal as well as 17-0-0 when scoring three or more tallies.
- Penn State is 16-2-0 when Maya Hayes scores a goal in 2011.
- Top Videos
BLOG: Yet Another Total Team Effort Propels Penn State to Quarterfinals
Nittany Lions Meet Ohio State in NCAA Third Round Sunday
Nittany Lions Tally 6-0 Victory Against BU
Nittany Lions Face BU Terriers in NCAA Second Round
NCAA Tournament: Lions Focused on One Match at a Time
Weber Tabbed as Finalist for Women's College Boot Award
Penn State Downs UAlbany, 5-0
BLOG: Lions Cruise to Second Round in Dominating Fashion