|Follow PSU Women's Lacrosse:||Follow @PennStateWLAX|
April 3, 2014
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -
Venue: Penn State Lacrosse Field
Live Stats: GoPSUsports.com
Series Record (Streak): 4-17 (L17)
Last Meeting: L, 15-7 (May 18, 2013 at Evanston, Ill.)
Last Win: April 19, 2003 at Evanston, Ill., 12-7.
PENN STATE WELCOMES NORTHWESTERN FOR ALC SHOWDOWN
- Penn State and Northwestern will renew their ALC rivalry when the Nittany Lions welcome the Wildcats to the Penn State Lacrosse Field on Friday, April 4 at 7 p.m. This is the 11th consecutive season these two teams have met, with Penn State's last win coming in Evanston on April 19, 2003.
ALL-TIME VS. NORTHWESTERN
- Penn State has an all-time record of 4-17 record against the Wildcats. The two teams have squared off in 11 consecutive seasons and met three times last season, including the 2013 American Lacrosse Conference championship game, which the Wildcats won, 15-7.
- Junior attacker Maggie McCormick leads all Nittany Lions with six career points (2g, 4a) against the Wildcats, while junior midfielder Kelly Lechner boasts five career points (5g) against the ALC Rival. Midfielders Tatum Coffey (3g, 1a), Madison Cyr (3g, 1a), and Jenna Mosketti (4g) all have four career points against Northwestern.
LAST TIME VS. THE WILDCATS
- The last time the Nittany Lions and Wildcats squared off was in the quarterfinals of the 2013 NCAA Championship, with the Wildcats earning a 15-7 win. For the Nittany Lions, then-sophomore attacker Maggie McCormick had a team-high three points (1g, 2a), while midfielders Madison Cyr and Jenna Mosketti both had two goals apiece.
- Final Stats (PSU-NU): Shots (16-29), Saves (3-1), Ground Balls (8-17), Draw Controls (7-17), Turnovers (11-11), Caused Turnovers (7-6).
- Northwestern comes to Happy Valley with a 6-3 record after beating No. 1 ranked North Carolina, 7-5, on Monday. The Wildcats are led by sophomore midfielder Kaleigh Craig, who has 22 points through nine games this season. Northwestern currently has six players with at least 10 points on the season.
- In net for the Wildcats this season has been junior Bridget Bianco. Bianco has a 6-2 record, and has allowed 71 goals, while stopping 60. Through nine games this season she has a save percentage of .458
- Assistant coach Brooke Matthews was a four-year starting midfielder at Northwestern from 2008-2011. Over the course of her career she registered 88 goals and 14 assists and helped the Wildcats secure three National Championships.
- Penn State head coach Missy Doherty and Northwestern head coach Kelly Amonte Hiller were teammates at the University of Maryland for three seasons. They won two National Championships together in 1995 and 1996.
GETTING BACK ON TRACK
- Penn State will attempt to get back into the win column after falling to the Florida Gators, 13-9. The Nittany Lions are 2-1 this season following a loss and 13-6 under head coach Missy Doherty.
POTENTIAL POSTSEASON PREVIEW
Two of the last three seasons, Penn State and Northwestern have met in the postseason. Last season the teams played one another in the ALC tournament and the NCAA tournament.
- Friday night's matchup will be the fourth time these two teams meet within one year. The Nittany Lions and Wildcats squared off three times last season with the Wildcats winning by scores of 15-7, 9-8, and 11-3, respectively.
NITTANY LIONS STREAKING
- After scoring a goal and helping on another against Florida, junior attacker Maggie McCormick extended her point streak to 38 games. Over those 38 games she has scored 79 times and assisted on 66 others. Former All-American Candy Finn holds the program record, securing a point in 58 straight games from 1979-82.
- Sophomore midfielder Madison Cyr completed a hat trick for the third straight game against Florida. Over her last six outings, Cyr has scored 18 goals and assisted on five others. McCormick and Cyr lead the Nittany Lions with 31 points each. - Senior attacker Mackenzie Cyr has also registered a point in 15 straight games for the Nittany Lions.
PURVIS' STRONG PLAY CONTINUES
Senior defender Lauren Purvis continues to play well on the defensive end after causing one turnover and corralling three groundballs against the Florida Gators. Purvis is the team-leader in ground balls (21) and caused turnovers (21).
- Top Videos
Cyr, Lazo Tabbed as IWLCA All-Americans
VIDEO: Women's Lacrosse Gearing Up for NCAA Quarterfinals
O’Donnell Tabbed Epoch/LM National Player of the Week
Saturday's NCAA Quarterfinal Ticket Information Announced
No. 11 Penn State Topples No. 2 Florida, 14-13, in OT to Reach NCAA Quarterfinals
No. 11 Lions Face No. 2 Florida in NCAA Second Round
Five Nittany Lions Earn IWLCA All-Region Honors
No. 11 Women's Lacrosse Advances Past Winthrop, 16-6