|Follow PSU Field Hockey:||Follow @PennStateFH|
Sept. 4, 2014
PENN STATE AT CONNECTICUT
|Saturday, Sept. 6 - Noon ET|
|George J. Sherman Family-Sports Complex | Storrs, Conn.|
GAME DAY LINKS
|GameTracker | Live Video ($)|
|Field Hockey Blog|
|Follow Us: @PennStateFH | Facebook | Instagram|
|Game Notes: Penn State|
|UConn Website: UConnHuskies.com|
PENN STATE AT QUINNIPIAC
|Sunday, Sept. 7 - Noon ET|
|QU Field Hockey Turf Complex | Hamden, Conn.|
GAME DAY LINKS
|Live Stats | Live Video|
|Game Notes: Penn State|
|Quinnipiac Website: QuinnipiacBobcats.com|
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - After opening the season with two victories over top 10 opponents, the No. 8 Penn State field hockey team hits the road for the first time of the 2014 campaign. First, the Nittany Lions take on No. 3 Connecticut on Saturday, Sept. 6, before heading to Quinnipiac on Sunday, Sept. 7. Both games are scheduled for noon.
- The Huskies are the defending national champions, downing Duke, 2-0, in the title game last season.
- The Big East squad is 1-0, defeating No. 14 Northwestern, 3-2 (OT), on Aug. 31.
- Connecticut is led offensively by Chloe Hunnable, a 2013 Third Team All-American. She scored one goal in the season opener and entered the season with the seventh-most points in UConn history.
- Defensively, the Huskies are anchored by Big East Preseason Defensive Player of the Year Roisin Upton, who led the team with 16 assists last season.
- Nancy Stevens, the 2013 NFHCA National Coach of the Year, is in her 25th season at the helm.
Penn State is 16-17-4 all-time against Connecticut. The Huskies have won the last eight matchups, including a 4-3 overtime victory in 2013.
- The Bobcats have started the season 0-2, with a 3-0 loss against No. 13 Boston College and a 3-2 loss vs. Lafayette in overtime.
- The squad made the NCAA Tournament in 2013, falling to American in the play-in round and were picked by conference coaches to finish first in the MAAC this season.
- Offensively, All-MAAC Preseason selection Danielle Allan has scored both of the team's goals.
- Goalkeeper Megan Conaboy comes back after being named as the reigning MAAC Co-Goalkeeper of the Year. She has a .778 save percentage this season.
- Becca Main is in her 20th season as head coach.
Penn State is 1-0 all-time against Quinnipiac. The two teams squared off in 2011 and the Nittany Lions picked up a 6-1 win at home.
Quinnipiac head coach Becca Main is a 1994 graduate of Penn State. A defender, Main was a two-time NFHCA All-American for the Nittany Lions. UConn head coach Nancy Stevens received her master's degree in sports psychology from Penn State, while also serving as an assistant field hockey and lacrosse coach from 1977-79. Penn State head coach Charlene Morett-Curtiss was on the roster in 1977 and 1978.
Last Time Out
The Nittany Lions opened the season with two wins over top 10 opponents. First, Penn State downed No. 9 Old Dominion (Aug. 29), 2-1, before shutting out No. 6 Virginia (Aug. 31), 3-0. The game marked the first time the Cavaliers were held scoreless in a match since 2011.
Licata, Conley Earn Big Ten Honor
Redshirt senior goalkeeper Kylie Licata (Mountain Top, Pa.) earned Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week, while back Cori Conley (Oak Park, Ill.) was named Freshman of the Week following the season-opening wins. Licata made a career-high nine saves against the Lady Monarchs and shut out the Cavaliers. Conley played a key role defensively, helping a unit that held Virginia scoreless in a game for the first time since 2011.
Senior Jenna Chrismer (Mountain Top, Pa.) has been impressive offensively, scoring each of the team's goals in the 2-1 win over Old Dominion (Aug. 29), before tallying an assist against Virginia (Aug. 31). She leads the team with five points.
Solid in the Cage
Licata has been a force between the posts, making a career high nine saves against Old Dominion and holding Virginia scoreless, the first time the Cavaliers were blanked since 2011. She ranks first in the Big Ten with a .938 save percentage and first with a 0.64 goals against average.
Buttinger Breaks Out
Redshirt senior Natalie Buttinger (Kitchener, Ontario) scored the first two goals of her career in the 3-0 win over No. 6 Virginia.
Penn State opponents have taken 16 penalty corners this season, but have yet to score a goal.
Penn State Field Hockey on Social Media
Penn State field hockey is on social media. Follow the program on Facebook (www.facebook.com/PennStateFieldHockey) and Twitter/Instagram @PennStateFH. For all of your Penn State news, visit www.GoPSUsports.com.