|Follow PSU Women's Basketball:||Follow @PennStateWBB|
March 23, 2014
- No. 11 seed Florida (20-12) advances to the NCAA Second Round vs. No. 3 Penn State, Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. in the Bryce Jordan Center.
- Making their 14th NCAA Championship appearance, the Gators improved to 12-13 in all NCAA games, with a 9-5 record in First Round games.
- The Gators advance to the NCAA Second Round for the ninth time in program history with their 20th win of the season, marking UF’s 14th 20-win season in program history.
- Florida is the second-lowest seed to advance in the 2014 NCAA Championship thus far. BYU, a No. 12, won on Saturday.
- No. 11 is the lowest seed the Gators have had when winning an NCAA Tournament game. The previous lowest seed when posting a win was No. 9 in 2012, over No. 8 Ohio State.
- Trailing Dayton, 54-45 with 11:53 to play, the Gators finished the game on a 38-15 run.
- Florida improved to 3-9 when trailing the half, mounting its first halftime comeback win since the Dec. 28 game vs. Georgetown. Dayton led, 32-29, at the break today.
- The Gators shot 40.7% (11-27) in the first half and 51.4% (19-37) in the second half.
- Florida had five players in double figures and improved to 6-0 this season when at least five players scored in double figures.
- The NCAA First Round victory gave head coach Amanda Butler her 140th win in seven years at UF
- Amanda Butler has led Florida to the post-season in all seven of her seasons as the Gators’ head coach. Florida has won its at least its First Round game all seven years.
- Amanda Butler has led the Gators to at least 20 wins in five of her seven seasons in Gainesville.
- Seniors Jaterra Bonds & Lily Svete both played in the 136th game of their respective careers, the MOST in UF history. Bonds and Svete bumped former Gator great Jennifer George (2009-13) to No. 2 (135)
- Junior Kayla Lewis posted a double-double with 11 points and boards, her 12th career double-dip and 18th double-figure rebounding game, while freshman Ronni Williams tied her second-best scoring output of the season with 15 points. Jaterra Bonds and Carlie Needles contributed 15 and 11 points, respectively.
- For Needles and Williams the double-digit efforts were their 14th career ouputs, while Bonds notched her 83rd
- Last season Florida won a program-record four postseason games en route to the WNIT semifinals
- While Florida has made six previous trips to the post-season, the current group of Gators was a bit lean on postseason experience of any kind entering 2014. Only Jaterra Bonds and Lily Svete have played in an NCAA game
- Florida and Dayton met for just the second time, with the Gators winning, 97-93, in the 2000 WNIT.
- The Florida-Penn State series is tied, 1-1. The Lady Lions won 91-67 on Jan. 8, 2000 in the Bryce Jordan Center. The Gators won 92-79 on Dec. 3, 2000 in Gainesville.
- Penn State and Florida were in the Junkanoo Jam earlier this season, but did not meet.
- The Gators are 6-15 all-time vs. Big Ten opponents. Penn State is 24-30 vs. SEC foes.
- No. 6 seed Dayton ends the season with a 23-8 record.
- Dayton fell to 2-5 in NCAA Championship games. The Flyers also advanced to the Second Round in 2010 and 2013.
- In the 2011 NCAA Tournament, No. 11 seed Dayton fell at No. 6 seed Penn State, 75-66.
- No. 6 Dayton earned its highest seeding in its NCAA Championship history.
- Dayton played in its fifth consecutive NCAA Championship, earning its first-ever NCAA berth in 2010 to begin the five-year run.
- Junior Andrea Hoover scored 22 points, posting her 17th career game with 20+ points; 13th this season
- Sophomore Amber Deane scored in double figures in 21 of 29 games played this season
- Dayton was 17-3 this season when leading at the half.
- After starting the season 2-4, the Flyers went 21-3 since a Dec. 5 loss to Central Michigan to earn an NCAA at-large berth.
- Top Videos
Lady Lion Trio to Open WNBA Season Tonight
Lady Lions to Host Virginia Tech Big Ten/ACC Challenge
Penn State Student-Athletes Continue to Surpass National Academic Averages
Women's Basketball to Hold Four Summer Camps
Season Ticket Renewals Kickoff Thursday for Women's Basketball
Wyatt Volunteers for Habitat for Humanity at Women's Final Four
Lady Lions Gather for Senior Banquet
BLOG: Lady Lions: Looking To Build Off 2014-2015 Season