|Follow PSU Women's Basketball:||Follow @PennStateWBB|
March 23, 2014
- No. 11 seed Florida (20-12) advances to the NCAA Second Round vs. No. 3 Penn State, Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. in the Bryce Jordan Center.
- Making their 14th NCAA Championship appearance, the Gators improved to 12-13 in all NCAA games, with a 9-5 record in First Round games.
- The Gators advance to the NCAA Second Round for the ninth time in program history with their 20th win of the season, marking UF’s 14th 20-win season in program history.
- Florida is the second-lowest seed to advance in the 2014 NCAA Championship thus far. BYU, a No. 12, won on Saturday.
- No. 11 is the lowest seed the Gators have had when winning an NCAA Tournament game. The previous lowest seed when posting a win was No. 9 in 2012, over No. 8 Ohio State.
- Trailing Dayton, 54-45 with 11:53 to play, the Gators finished the game on a 38-15 run.
- Florida improved to 3-9 when trailing the half, mounting its first halftime comeback win since the Dec. 28 game vs. Georgetown. Dayton led, 32-29, at the break today.
- The Gators shot 40.7% (11-27) in the first half and 51.4% (19-37) in the second half.
- Florida had five players in double figures and improved to 6-0 this season when at least five players scored in double figures.
- The NCAA First Round victory gave head coach Amanda Butler her 140th win in seven years at UF
- Amanda Butler has led Florida to the post-season in all seven of her seasons as the Gators’ head coach. Florida has won its at least its First Round game all seven years.
- Amanda Butler has led the Gators to at least 20 wins in five of her seven seasons in Gainesville.
- Seniors Jaterra Bonds & Lily Svete both played in the 136th game of their respective careers, the MOST in UF history. Bonds and Svete bumped former Gator great Jennifer George (2009-13) to No. 2 (135)
- Junior Kayla Lewis posted a double-double with 11 points and boards, her 12th career double-dip and 18th double-figure rebounding game, while freshman Ronni Williams tied her second-best scoring output of the season with 15 points. Jaterra Bonds and Carlie Needles contributed 15 and 11 points, respectively.
- For Needles and Williams the double-digit efforts were their 14th career ouputs, while Bonds notched her 83rd
- Last season Florida won a program-record four postseason games en route to the WNIT semifinals
- While Florida has made six previous trips to the post-season, the current group of Gators was a bit lean on postseason experience of any kind entering 2014. Only Jaterra Bonds and Lily Svete have played in an NCAA game
- Florida and Dayton met for just the second time, with the Gators winning, 97-93, in the 2000 WNIT.
- The Florida-Penn State series is tied, 1-1. The Lady Lions won 91-67 on Jan. 8, 2000 in the Bryce Jordan Center. The Gators won 92-79 on Dec. 3, 2000 in Gainesville.
- Penn State and Florida were in the Junkanoo Jam earlier this season, but did not meet.
- The Gators are 6-15 all-time vs. Big Ten opponents. Penn State is 24-30 vs. SEC foes.
- No. 6 seed Dayton ends the season with a 23-8 record.
- Dayton fell to 2-5 in NCAA Championship games. The Flyers also advanced to the Second Round in 2010 and 2013.
- In the 2011 NCAA Tournament, No. 11 seed Dayton fell at No. 6 seed Penn State, 75-66.
- No. 6 Dayton earned its highest seeding in its NCAA Championship history.
- Dayton played in its fifth consecutive NCAA Championship, earning its first-ever NCAA berth in 2010 to begin the five-year run.
- Junior Andrea Hoover scored 22 points, posting her 17th career game with 20+ points; 13th this season
- Sophomore Amber Deane scored in double figures in 21 of 29 games played this season
- Dayton was 17-3 this season when leading at the half.
- After starting the season 2-4, the Flyers went 21-3 since a Dec. 5 loss to Central Michigan to earn an NCAA at-large berth.
- Top Videos
BLOG: Banks and Whitted Lead Lady Lions to Successful Opening Weekend
Washington Earns 150th Career Victory in Win over Fordham
Lady Lion Gameday: host Fordham
Overtime Victory Opens Season for Women's Basketball
BLOG: Sevillian Shines in Season-Opening Win
BLOG: Candice Agee Excited for Final Season
Pink Zone Announces Season-Long Pledge It Campaign
Women's Basketball Adds Two for 2016-17