|Follow PSU Women's Basketball:||Follow @PennStateWBB|
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -The first meeting between the two programs came in the 2004 NCAA Tournament and they tangled last season as a part of the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, but in 2017 the Penn State women's basketball program will tangle with Virginia Tech in the third round of the Women's National Invitation Tournament. The contest will tipoff at 7 p.m. inside the Bryce Jordan Center on Thursday (March 23) and be carried on the Penn State Radio Network and BTN2go.com.
- Fans can follow along with Penn State's WNIT contest vs. Virginia Tech on Twitter and Instagram (@PennStateWBB), or via live stats, live video or live audio with the links to the right.
Inside the PDF
- Penn State has enjoyed a solid start to the postseason, setting WNIT program records in multiple categories, including points in game, 3-pointers made and field goal percentage. MORE ON PAGE 3 & 7
- Sophomore Teniya Page has moved herself into the conversation of elite players at Penn State in just 59 career games played, moving past a pair of major milestones. MORE ON PAGE 9, 12-15 & 60
- Still with games to play, Page has done something this season that no other Penn Stater in the storied history of the program has accomplished. MORE ON PAGE 13
- Graduate student Sierra Moore continues to add to her impressive senior season, adding a season-high 20 point effort to her resume vs. Ohio. MORE ON PAGE 9, 17 & 58
- The trio of Teniya Page, Jaida Travascio-Green and Lindsey Spann became the second trio of teammates to hit 40-plus shots from 3-point range in the same season vs. Michigan. MORE ON PAGE 20
- True freshman Siyeh Frazier registered her first career double-figure scoring game with 10 points vs. Ohio in the opening round of the WNIT. MORE ON PAGE 7, 9 & 56
- Sophomore Teniya Page and senior Kaliyah Mitchell each earned All-Big Ten honors from the Big Ten Conference coaches and media. Page earned first team honors and Mitchell was an honorable mention selection. MORE ON PAGE 15, 20 & 25
- Ranking No. 16 in the NCAA, redshirt freshman Amari Carter sits No. 3 in the Big Ten in assist-to-turnover ratio. MORE ON PAGE 9, 18 & 54
- On three occasions this season, Penn State has tied the school record for fewest turnovers in game and posted three-straight games with 10-or-fewer turnover for the first time in program history from Jan. 16-23, 2017. MORE ON PAGE 23 & 24
- In the classroom, the quartet of Sarah McMurtry, Kaliyah Mitchell, Lindsey Spann and Peyton Whitted all earned Dean's List honors in the fall semester. MORE ON PAGE 21
- Penn State is playing in the Women's National Invitational Tournament for the third time in program history, owning a 6-1 record. MORE ON PAGE 2
- The Lady Lions won the inaugural WNIT in 1998, defeating Baylor in Waco, Texas, 59-56, to claim the title.
- Penn State will face another recent opponent, as it tangled with Virginia Tech in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge last season. The Hokies claimed a 64-59 decision in that contest.
- If Penn State were to advance past the third round, the winner of Michigan/St. John's would await. That matchup would either feature a B1G opponent or add another first-time foe to the all-time ledger.
Scouting Virginia Tech
Last Time Out -- at Penn State 70, Fordham 51 (WNIT Second Round - March 19, 2017)
- Teniya Page's 24 points marked her 15th-straight game scoring in the double digits and set the Penn State WNIT scoring record, besting Tyra Grant's 23-point effort vs. Hofstra in 2010.
- The nine field goals made in the game for Page were also a WNIT record for Penn State, moving past the eight made baskets by Sierra Moore (Ohio, 3/17/17) and Helen Darling (Villanova, 3/13/98).
- Amari Carter scored 15 points for her seventh double-figure scoring game of the season and second-straight in the WNIT.
- Jaida Travascio-Green made three 3-pointers to move her season total to 45 and push her into No. 4 alone on the freshman charts, breaking a tie with Jess Strom (42, 2001-02).
- Penn State's win tied the school record for single season home wins (16-1). It equals the 2002-03 squad that was a perfect 16-0.
- The Lady Lions held Fordham to only 4 first quarter points. That marks the fewest points allowed by Penn State in any quarter since the NCAA went to quarters in the 2015-16 season.
- In the WNIT record books, Penn State posted the highest field goal (.491), 3-point field goal (.545) and free throw (.833) shooting percentages. Penn State's six made 3-pointers are the most in a WNIT game in school history.
Last Meeting - Virginia Tech 64, Penn State 59 (Dec. 3, 2015)
- With 16 points, Teniya Page reached the 100 career point milestone, ending the night with 107 career tallies.
- Page also led the team in rebounds (seven), assists (four) and steals (three).
- Lindsey Spann netted 20 points, marking her sixth career 20-point effort.
- Spann connected on six field goals and was six-for-six from the free throw line.
- Peyton Whitted contributed in every statistical category, scoring nine points, grabbing five rebounds, and adding one assist, one blocked shot and two steals.
- Penn State fell to 2-7 all-time in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, including a 2-3 record at the Bryce Jordan Center.
- The Lady Lions recorded their seventh game of 2015-16 with at least 10 assists, handing out 12 helpers.
- Penn State forced a season-high-tying 23 turnovers.