|Follow PSU Men's Tennis:||Follow @PennStateMTEN|
Sophomore Matt Barry
Sept. 27, 2013
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The Penn State men's tennis team went undefeated against Navy on Friday at the Navy All-Conference Tournament. The Nittany Lions went 4-0 in singles and 2-0 in doubles and did not drop a set. Penn State is combining with Arkansas for the tournament and they will take on Princeton on Saturday at 2 p.m.
Members of the Penn State team are competing in the 1, 3, 5 and 7 singles spots this weekend and 1 and 3 in doubles. The results this weekend only count towards individual records, not team results.
"The men have been working hard and the results speak for themselves." said Head Coach Jeff Zinn. "We came out strong in doubles and kept it going in singles across the board."
Sophomore Roman Trkulja (Toronto, Canada) got the nod in the number one spot on Friday and defeated Navy's Thomas Pecor 6-1, 6-1.
Fellow sophomore Matt Barry (Lido Beach, N.Y.) knocked off Navy's Calvin Mark 6-2, 6-1 while competing in the number three spot.
Making his tournament debut as a Penn State player, David Kohan (Sydney, Australia) had a solid performance. Kohan defeated Navy's Krishna Jana 6-3, 6-4.
Freshman Nika Dolidze (Tbilisi, Georgia) made his collegiate debut and earned his first career win. Dolidze knocked off Navy's Tyler Tossavainen 6-2, 6-2.
Trkulja teamed up with freshman Christian Lutschaunig (Richboro, Pa.) in the top doubles spot. The duo claimed an 8-5 victory over Austin Jones and Pecor.
Barry and Kohan combined in the third doubles spot. The pair earned an 8-3 win over Alex Gaines and Tossavainen.
In addition to the Navy All-Conference Tournament, Penn State will also begin play tomorrow at the ITA All-American Championships.
Please check back to gopsusports.com throughout the weekend for coverage of both events. Fans can also follow updates on our Facebook, Penn State Men's Tennis, and Twitter, @pennstateMTEN, pages.
2. Christian Lee / Juan Marino (Ark) def. Blake Daniel / Calvin Mark (Navy), 8-3.
4. Johan den Toom / Jacob Herndon (Ark) def. Jake Darrah / Krishna Jana (Navy), 8-2.
1. Roman Trkulja (PSU) def. Thomas Pecor (Navy), 6-1, 6-1.
2. Austin Jones (Navy) def. Christian Lee (Ark), 6-4, 6-1.
3. Matt Barry (PSU) def. Calvin Mark (Navy), 6-2, 6-1.
4. Juan Marino (Ark) def. Blake Daniel (Navy), 6-3, 6-0.
5. David Kohan (PSU) def. Krishna Jasna (Navy), 6-3, 6-4.
6. Johan den Toom (Ark) def. Alex Gaines (Navy), 6-2, 6-4.
7. Nika Dolidze (PSU) def. Tyler Tossavainen (Navy), 6-2, 6-2.
8. Jacob Herndon (Ark) def. Jake Darrah (Navy), 6-3, 6-1.
- Top Videos
Penn State Falls Out of the B1G Tournament in the Quarterfinals
Penn State Sweeps Michigan State in the First Round of the B1G Tournament
Stakhovsky, De La Bassetiere Earn Conference Honors
Men's Tennis Faces Michigan State in B1G First Round
No. 39 Penn State Falls to No. 14 Northwestern at Senior Day
No. 39 Penn State Upsets No. 15 Illinois
No. 39 Penn State Hosts Illinois, Northwestern to End Regular Season
No. 39 Penn State Just Misses at Minnesota