|Follow PSU Men's Tennis:||Follow @PennStateMTEN|
Freshman Harry Seaborn
April 28, 2011
MADISON, WIS. - The Penn State men's tennis team (10-18, 0-11) dropped its Big Ten Tournament opening round match Thursday afternoon against No. 71 Wisconsin, 4-1. Freshman Harry Seaborn (North Salem, N.Y.) earned his first Big Ten Tournament victory over Alexander Teppert in sixth singles.
The Nittany Lions remained close to the Badgers throughout the doubles portion in an attempt to win their first conference match of the season. Senior Eddie Bourchier (Hobart, Australia) and freshman Russell Bader (Austin, Texas) battled with the No. 57 ranked ITA doubles tandem of Billy Bertha and Marek Michalicka in first doubles before eventually falling 8-6. Juniors Jason Lee (Sydney, Australia) and Christopher Hasyn (Lansdale, Pa.) then took Fredrick Ask and Rodney Carey to the wire before falling, 8-6, clinching the first point for Wisconsin. After the point had been decided, the third doubles match, featuring sophomore Bryan Welnetz (Laredo, Texas) and Seaborn, was called with the duo trailing, 7-6.
After falling behind in the doubles portion of the match, the Nittany Lions looked to rebound behind strong singles play. Seaborn responded promptly, outworking Teppert to earn his first Big Ten Tournament victory, 6-2, 6-1. With the win, Penn State evened the best-of-seven match at 1-1.
Bourchier could not keep the momentum rolling in first singles though. The senior fell to the ITA No. 57 ranked singles player, Michalicka, 6-0, 6-3. Next, Bader battled Petr Satral in No. 3 singles, but could not come up with the win Penn State desperately needed (6-4, 6-4).
Trailing 3-0, all attention turned to Welnetz in fourth singles. Welnetz fell quickly in the first set, 6-3, before eventually dropping a heartbreaking second set, 7-6, to clinch the fourth and deciding point for Wisconsin.
Play was stopped after the Badgers clinched the match with Bertha leading Lee (2-6, 6-1, 3-1) and Carey leading Hasyn (6-3, 6-6).
The Nittany Lions will return to action next fall to open the 2011-2012 campaign.
#71 Wisconsin 4, Penn State 1
1. #65 Billy Bertha/Marek Michalicka (WIS) def. #73 Eddie Bourchier/Russell Bader (PSU), 8-6
2. Fredrik Ask/Rodney Carey (WIS) def. Jason Lee/Christopher Hasyn (PSU), 8-6
3. Alexander Teppert/Petr Satral (WIS) vs. Bryan Welnetz/Harry Seaborn (PSU), 7-6, unfinished
Order of finish: 1, 2
1. #57 Marek Michalicka (WIS) def. Eddie Bourchier (PSU), 6-0, 6-3
2. Billy Bertha (WIS) vs. Jason Lee (PSU), 2-6, 6-1, 3-1, unfinished
3. Petr Satrl (WIS) def. Russell Bader (PSU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Fredrik Ask (WIS) def. Bryan Welnetz (PSU), 6-3, 7-6
5. Rodney Carey (WIS) vs. Christopher Hasyn (PSU), 6-3, 6-6, unfinished
6. Harry Seaborn (PSU) def. Alexander Teppert (WIS), 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 1, 3, 4
- Top Videos
No. 53 Men’s Tennis Makes Season Debut in Hanover
Men's Tennis Welcomes a New Member to the Team
Men’s Tennis Opens Spring Season at No. 53 in ITA Poll
Men's Tennis Wrap Up Fall Season
Hanzlik Advances to Finals in Orlando
Doubles Advance to Finals in Iowa
Successful First Day in Orlando
Nittany Lions Wrap Up Fall Season This Weekend