#72 Penn State Falls 5-2 to #21 Texas
March 7, 2013
AUSTIN, Texas - The #72 Penn State men's tennis team fell 5-2 against #21 Texas on Thursday. The Nittany Lions came up short in their first match this spring as a ranked team. Matt Barry and Tomas Hanzlik each got a win for Penn State. Texas won the doubles point. Penn State is now 5-8 this spring, while Texas improved to 8-4.
Tomas Hanzlik (Prague, Czech Republic) earned his first win over a ranked opponent this spring. Playing in the number two singles spot, Hanzlik knocked off Daniel Whitehead, ranked 80th in the nation, 6-4, 1-6, 6-4. Hanzlik improved to 8-5 this spring.
Freshman Matt Barry (Lido Beach, New York) won his seventh straight match with a 6-1, 5-7, 1-0(9) victory over David Holiner. Barry got Penn State their first point on the board.
Russell Bader (Austin, Texas) returned to his hometown and almost came away with a win against Lloyd Glasspool. Bader won a tough first set 7-6(4). Glasspool responded with a 6-0 win in the second set. Glasspool then came away with a 1-0(5) win in the third set.
Bryan Welnetz (Laredo, Texas) faced his sixth ranked opponent of the spring, but fell 6-3, 6-3 to Soren Hess-Olesen, ranked 50th in the country.
C.J. Griffin (Portland, Mich.) and Welnetz got a doubles win for the Nittany Lions with an 8-5 victory over Ben Chen and Whitehead.
Bader and Guanhua Chen (DaLian, China) could not hold on to a 6-4 lead against Chris Camillone and Holiner, ranked 11th in the nation. Camillone and Holiner ended up with an 8-6 win to clinch the doubles point for the Longhorns. Barry and Trkulja fell 8-3 against Jacoby Lewis and Naumann.
Penn State will move to Houston to take on the Rice Owls on Saturday at 12:00 p.m. ET.
1.#11 Camillone/Holiner(UT) def. Bader/Chen(PSU), 8-6
2. Griffin/Welnetz(PSU) def. Chen/Whitehead(UT), 8-5
3. Lewis/Naumann(UT) def. Barry/Trkulja(PSU), 8-3
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. #50 Soren Hess-Olesen(UT) def. Bryan Welnetz(PSU), 6-3, 6-3
2. Tomas Hanzlik(PSU) def. #80 Daniel Whitehead(UT), 6-4, 1-6, 6-4
3. Lloyd Glasspool(UT) def. Russell Bader(PSU), 6-7(4), 6-0, 1-0(5)
4. Sudanwa Sitaram(UT) def. Chris Young(PSU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Nick Naumann(UT) def. Roman Trkulja(PSU), 7-5, 6-0
6. Matt Barry(PSU) def. David Holiner(UT), 6-1, 5-7, 1-0(9)
Order of Finish: 1,4,5,3,6,2