|Follow PSU Men's Tennis:||Follow @PennStateMTEN|
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Penn State men's tennis took on the Ohio State Buckeyes at the OSU Varsity Tennis Center today. The Lions played well throughout but were unable to clinch the victory, falling to Ohio State 7-0.
The Nittany Lions fought hard in doubles, but were knocked off with one match going unfinished. No. 10 Martin Joyce and Mikael Torpegaard beat Constant De La Bassetiere (Reims, France) and Christian Lakoseljac (King City, Ontario) 6-1. The duo of Matt Galush (Cary, N.C) and Gabriel Nemeth (Brasilia, Brazil) were outmatched 6-2. Alp Sentay (Izmar, Turkey) and Christos Antonopoulos (Athens, Greece) fought against John McNally and JJ Wolf but the match went unfinished.
The Nittany Lions had a tough battle in singles. Lakoseljac put up a valiant effort against No. 55 JJ Wolf but lost in a tiebreak, 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (8-10). No. 99 De La Bassetiere was in a tight match with No. 2 Mikael Torpegaard but couldn't hang on and was defeated 6-2, 6-3. Antonopoulos fell to No. 49 John McNally 6-2, 6-2. Tim Seibert outmatched Nemeth, 6-3, 6-1. No. 30 Kyle Seeling outplayed Sentay, 6-0, 6-0. Zach Lieb (Newtown Square, Pa.) faced off against Martin Joyce but was defeated 6-2, 6-0.
"Going into this we knew we had to absolutely play high-level ball and stay aggressive through every point," said associate head coach Paul Tobin. "No. 3 ranked Ohio State has not lost a home match in four years and they certainly had the home court advantage."
The Lions are now 5-5 on the season. The team is back home Friday, March 2 where they face Western Michigan at 5 p.m.
Keep up with the Penn State men's tennis team at GoPSUsports.com. For continued updates throughout the year, make sure to `like' our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pennstatemten and follow our twitter @pennstateMTEN!
1. No. 10 Mikael Torpegaard/Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Constant De La Bassetiere/Christian Lakoseljac (PSU) 6-1
2. Christos Antonopoulos/Alp Sentay (PSU) vs. John McNally/JJ Wolf (OSU) 4-3, unfinished
3. Matt Mendez/Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Gabriel Nemeth/Matt Galush (PSU) 6-2
1. No. 2 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) def. No. 99 Constant De La Bassetiere (PSU) 6-2, 6-3
2. No. 55 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. Christian Lakoseljac (PSU) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-8)
3. No. 49 John McNally (OSU) def. Christos Antonopoulos (PSU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Tim Seibert (OSU) def. Gabriel Nemeth (PSU) 6-3, 6-1
5. No. 30 Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Alp Sentay (PSU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Zach Lieb (PSU) 6-2, 6-0