|Follow PSU Men's Tennis:||Follow @PennStateMTEN|
Jan. 27, 2013
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - The Penn State men's tennis team finished out the Wake Forest Tournament on Sunday. In the morning, they finished their match against #65 Wake Forest, but fell 4-0. They took on #48 in the afternoon, but lost a tough 4-3 battle. After dropping the doubles point Saturday night against the Demon Deacons, the Nittany Lions lost their first three singles matches of the day and the final three matches went unfinished. Against Alabama, Penn State dropped the doubles point but picked up singles wins from Russell Bader, Chris Young, and Matt Barry.
The Nittany Lions' 4-3 loss to Alabama was their third by that score against a ranked opponent so far this season. Last weekend, Penn State dropped 4-3 results against #40 N.C. State and #69 Cornell.
In Saturday night's doubles matches against Wake Forest, the Demon Deacons swept. Roman Trkulja(Toronto, Canada) and Russell Bader(Austin, Texas) fell 8-2 against David Hopkins and Amogh Prabhakar. Guanhua Chen(DaLian, China) and Chris Young(Melbourne, Australia) dropped an 8-6 result against Jon Ho and Adam Lee. Penn State's third pair, C.J. Griffin(Portland, Mich.) and Bryan Welnetz(Laredo, Texas) were topped 8-7 by Danny Kreyman and Sam Bloom.
In the number two singles spot, Tomas Hanzlik(Prague, Czech Republic) dropped a 6-3, 6-1 match to Danny Kreyman, ranked 90th in the ITA Poll. Roman Trkulja fell 7-5, 6-1 against Amogh Prabhakar, ranked 59th in the nation. Russell Bader lost a tough three set battle against Jon Ho by a score of 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.
After Bader's result, Wake Forest clinched the win with their fourth point and the final three matches went unfinished.
Griffin and Welnetz picked up a doubles win against Alabama by defeating Philippe Tsangarides and Carlos Taborga by a score of 8-4.
Chen and Young dropped a close 8-6 match to Daniil Proskura and David Vieyra. Bader and Trkulja lost a tough 8-5 match to Jarryd Botha and Becker O'Shaugnessey.
Russell Bader knocked off Philippe Tsangarides in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2. Freshman Matt Barry(Lido Beach, N.Y.) also won in straight sets with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Carlos Taborga.
Junior Chris Young also picked up a win, earning a 6-4, 2-6, 6-2 victory over David Vieyra.
Bryan Welnetz dropped his first match of the spring in a tough three set 6-2, 2-6, 7-5 loss to Jarryd Botha, ranked 79th in the nation. Tomas Hanzlik also dropped a tough battle, a three set match against Becker O'Shaugnessey 6-7(3), 7-5, 6-1.
Freshman Roman Trkulja fell 6-2, 6-4 against Alabama's Daniil Proskura.
The Nittany Lions return home next Saturday, Feb. 2, for a doubleheader against Penn and Lehigh. The match against Penn starts at 11:00a.m. with the Lehigh match following at 5:00p.m.
Penn State at Wake Forest
1. Hopkins/Prabhakar(Wake) def. Bader/Trkulja(PSU), 8-2.
2. Ho/Lee(Wake) def. Chen/Young(PSU), 8-6.
3. Kreyman/Bloom(Wake) def. Griffin/Welnetz(PSU), 8-7.
1. David Hopkins (WF) vs. Bryan Welnetz (PSU) 7-6 (7-2), 4-6, 0-2, unfinished.
2. #90 Danny Kreyman (WF) def. Tomas Hanzlik (PSU) 6-3, 6-1.
3. #59 Amogh Prabhakar (WF) def. Roman Trkulja (PSU) 7-5, 6-1.
4. Jon Ho (WF) def. Russell Bader (PSU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.
5. Adam Lee (WF) vs. Chris Young (PSU) 6-3, 2-2, unfinished.
6. Sam Bloom (WF) vs. Matt Barry (PSU) 1-6, 2-2, unfinished.
Penn State vs. Alabama
1. Botha/O'Shaugnessey (BAMA) def. Bader/Trkulja (PSU) 8-5.
2. Proskura/Vieyra (BAMA) def. Chen/Young (PSU) 8-6.
3. Griffin/Welnetz (PSU) def. Tsangarides/Taborga (BAMA) 8-4.
1. Jarryd Botha (BAMA) def. Bryan Welnetz (PSU) 6-2, 2-6, 7-5.
2. Becker O'Shaugnessey (BAMA) def. Tomas Hanzlik (PSU) 6-7 (3), 7-5, 6-1.
3. Daniil Proskura (BAMA) def. Roman Trkulja (PSU) 6-2, 6-4.
4. Russell Bader (PSU) def. Philippe Tsangarides (BAMA) 6-1, 6-2.
5. Chris Young (PSU) def. David Vieyra (BAMA) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2.
6. Matt Barry (PSU) def. Carlos Taborga (BAMA) 6-2, 6-2.