|Follow PSU Men's Tennis:||Follow @PennStateMTEN|
Jan. 20, 2013
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - The Penn State men's tennis team split their doubleheader against Cornell and Cleveland State. Penn State dropped a tough 4-3 match against Cornell and swept Cleveland State 7-0. The Nittany Lions picked up three singles and a doubles win against Cornell. Penn State dropped only one set in their sweep over Cleveland State.
Bryan Welnetz(Laredo, Texas), competing in the one spot, completed a 3-0 weekend by knocking off Cornell's Venkat Iyer in his match, to earn a 3-6, 6-2, 6-0 victory. He followed that up with a 6-2, 6-2 sweep against Cleveland State's Jorg van der Vloet.
Tomas Hanzlik(Prague, Czech Republic) also went 3-0 this weekend, defeating Cornell's Alex Sidney 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 and Cleveland State's Joe VanMeter 6-2, 6-2.
Freshman Roman Trkulja(Toronto, Canada) also earned a sweep against Cleveland State, with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Matt Kuelker. Earlier in the day, he dropped a tough 3-6, 6-1, 6-3 decision to Cornell's Sam Fleck.
Senior Chris Young(Melbourne, Australia) picked up his first win of the spring against Cleveland State's Jay Jones with a 6-2, 6-2 sweep.
C.J. Griffin(Portland, Mich.) claimed a tough 6-7(3), 6-3, 11-9 win against Cleveland State's Niklas Jonsson.
Junior Russell Bader(Austin, Texas) won a 6-3, 6-2 sweep over Cleveland State's Ali Shabib. Earlier in the day, Bader earned his first win of the spring by topping Cornell's Quoc-Daniel Nguyen 6-3, 6-1.
The Nittany Lions earned a doubles sweep against Cleveland State. Russell Bader and Roman Trkulja combined for an 8-7 win over Ali Shabib and Niklas Jonsson. Bryan Welnetz and Tomas Hanzlik defeated Jorg van der Vloet and Matt Kuelker 8-5, while Guanhua Chen and Chris Young won their first match of the spring 8-7 against Joe VanMeter and Jay Jones.
Roman Trkulja, Matt Barry(Lido Beach, N.Y.), and David Kohan all dropped tough matches against Cornell. Trkulja dropped a 3-6, 6-1, 6-3 decision to Sam Fleck. Barry won his first set 6-3, but fell by a score of 3-6, 6-2, 6-1 against Jason Luu. Kohan made his season debut against Kyle Berman, but lost a 5-7, 6-3, 6-1 decision.
Bader and Trkulja won the first doubles match of the day 8-3 over Cornell's Venkat Iyer and Patrick Fiaux. Cornell got their first doubles win of the day as Quoc-Daniel Nguyen and Jason Luu defeated Bryan Welnetz and Tomaz Hanzlik 8-2. Cornell's Kyle Berman and Sam Fleck then claimed a close 8-7(2) victory over Matt Barry and C.J. Griffin.
Next weekend, the Nittany Lions head to Winston-Salem, N.C. for the Wake Forest Tournament. On Saturday, they will face New Mexico at 1:00p.m. and Wake Forest at 7:00p.m. On Sunday, they will take on Alabama at 2:00p.m.
Penn State vs. Cornell
1. Bader/Trkulja(PSU) def. Iyer/Fiaux(COR), 8-3.
2. Nguyen/Luu(COR) def. Hanzlik/Welnetz(PSU), 8-2.
3. Berman/Fleck(COR) def. Barry/Griffin(PSU), 8-7(2).
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. Bryan Welnetz(PSU) def. Venkat Iyer(COR), 3-6, 6-2, 6-0.
2. Sam Fleck(COR) def. Roman Trkulja(PSU), 3-6, 6-1, 6-3.
3. Tomas Hanzlik(PSU) def. Alex Sidney(COR), 4-6, 6-4, 6-2.
4. Russell Bader(PSU) def. Quoc-Daniel Nguyen(COR), 6-3, 6-1.
5. Jason Luu(COR) def. Matt Barry(PSU), 3-6, 6-2, 6-1.
6. Kyle Berman(COR) def. David Kohan(PSU), 7-5, 3-6, 6-1.
Order of Finish: 4,1,2,3,5,6
Penn State vs. Cleveland State
1. Bader/Trkulja(PSU) def. Shabib/Jonsson(CSU), 8-7(3).
2. Hanzlik/Welnetz(PSU) def. Van der Vloet/Kuelker(CSU), 8-5.
3. Chen/Young(PSU) def. VanMeter/Jones(CSU), 8-7(2).
Order of Finish: 2,1,3
1. Bryan Welnetz(PSU) def. Jorg van der Vloet(CSU), 6-2, 6-2.
2. Roman Trkulja(PSU) def. Matt Kuelker(CSU), 6-1, 6-4.
3. Tomas Hanzlik(PSU) def. Joe VanMeter(CSU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Russell Bader(PSU) def. Ali Shabib(CSU), 6-3, 6-2..
5. C.J. Griffin(PSU) def. Niklas Jonsson(CSU), 6-7(3), 6-3, 11-9
6. Chris Young(PSU) def. Jay Jones(CSU), 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1,6,2,5,4,3