Skip to main content Skip to footer
No. 17 Lions Top No. 14 Michigan State in 2-1 Thriller

Follow PSU Men's Soccer:    

Oct. 20, 2013

(9-3-1, 4-0-0 Big Ten)

  1st 2nd OT 2OT Final
PSU 0 1 0 1 2
MSU 1 0 0 0 1

Box Score

East Lansing, Mich.. • DeMartin Complex • Attendance: 1,222

(8-2-2, 1-1-1 Big Ten)

EAST LANSING, Mich. - Down a goal at half, No. 17 Penn State men's soccer came back to defeat No. 14 Michigan State, 2-1, in double overtime Sunday afternoon at DeMartin Stadium. Redshirt-junior striker Jordan Tyler (Rochester, Mich.) tallied the game winner in the second overtime.

Drew Klingenberg (Gibsonia, Pa.) notched the equalizer early in the second half, his first goal of the season. Junior goalkeeper Andrew Wolverton (Atlanta, Ga.) saved a career-high nine shots in the game as Penn State opened up a six-point lead in the Big Ten standings after four matches.

The Nittany Lions can clinch an outright claim to a Big Ten regular-season crown with a win in either of its final two matches or a pair of ties. Penn State hosts Northwestern on Sunday, Oct. 27 at Jeffrey Field for a 1 p.m. match on the Big Ten Network.

"That was a really gutsy performance against a talented Michigan State team," Head coach Bob Warming said. "It's easy to see why they were the No. 1 RPI team in the country last week. Having said that, the depth of our team was on show today. Drew was terrific, not just the goal, but in other phases of the game as well. Jordan Tyler's story just gets better: coming back from ACL surgery to score the game-winner in his home state. Every player on this team believes we'll win."

The winning moment came 53 seconds into the second overtime when Mike Robinson (Lansdale, Pa.) collected a ball on the left wing and swung in a perfectly placed ball to a running Tyler as the Michigan native poked the ball home. The helper was Robinson's second of the season and both assists have come in Big Ten play.

The pace of play was quick from the start as the two teams combined for nine shots on goal in the opening 45 minutes. The first shot registered came from Connor Maloney (Harrisburg, Pa.) just 15 seconds in and 30 yards out, but Michigan State's Zach Bennett was there for the save.

Two minutes later, MSU's Jay Chapman raced down the left wing into the penalty area firing a shot that clanked off the woodwork. The Spartans were not to be denied as Ryan Thelen's free kick found the head of Tim Kreutz for a 1-0 lead in the 10th minute.

The Michigan State offense continued to click as Brent McIntosh forced Wolverton into a diving save in the 12th minute. Ten minutes later, Kreutz and later Chapman were denied within 30 seconds of each other on quality chances as Wolverton kept the score 1-0.

Penn State would counter as Owen Griffith (Lewsiburg, Pa.) had a long-range effort nabbed by Bennett in the 23rd minute. Later in the 31st minute, a PSU counter attack sent Eli Dennis (Easton, Md.) in on net alone and his shot looked to beat Bennett, but a Spartan defender was there to block it aside for one of Penn State's five first-half corner kicks.

In the 42nd minute, Mark Wadid (Missassauga, Ont.) broke free from the Spartan midfield and rifled a 22-yard effort that was tossed over the bar. Wolverton was required to make more diving stop in the final minute of the half as Michigan State held a 1-0 lead after 45 minutes.

The second half started all Penn State as Griffith fed Klingenberg about 30 yards out. Klingenberg blasted a shot that lofted over Bennett's head to tie the score at one in the 51st minute. The tally was Klingenberg's first goal of the year and Griffith's first helper this season.

The Nittany Lion offense continued to click as Mason Klerks (Corona, Calif.) had two attempts from 18 yards out, one blocked and another that sailed high. Later Randy Falk (Tewksbury Township, N.J.) ran down the right wing and let one fly from distance that sailed over the net in the 54th minute.

Michigan State would begin to settle down following the initial Penn State push as Sean Conerty had a shot blocked in the 62nd minute.

Much of the play toward the end of the second half was unsettled and not as attacking as the first hour of play. Nevertheless, Michigan State nearly converted a long ball over the top to Adam Montague whose header near the penalty spot found the mitts of Wolverton.

The first overtime session was controlled by Michigan State. The Spartans rattled off four attempts, but only one on net in the 10 minutes.




  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago