Skip to main content Skip to footer
Nittany Lions Down Bucknell, 2-1

Follow PSU Men's Soccer:    

Oct. 17, 2012

Box Score

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - Penn State men's soccer delivered its eighth win of the season in dramatic fashion, scoring the go-ahead goal in the 88th minute to down Bucknell, 2-1, at home Wednesday night. With the victory, the Nittany Lions move to 8-4-2 (2-1-1 B1G), including 7-2-1 at Jeffrey Field, while the Bison fall to 5-5-4 (1-1-2 Patriot).

After winning the last two contests of its three-game homestand, Penn State heads to the road to face Northwestern in Evanston, Ill., at 1 p.m. Sunday. The Lions return to Jeffrey Field Oct. 28 for a Senior Day showdown with Ohio State.

After surrendering a one-goal lead in the 31st minute, Penn State needed more than 50 minutes before notching the gamewinner. Freshman Drew Klingenberg (Gibsonia, Pa.) delivered a laser feed from the left wing and senior Marvin Ledgister (London, England) finished the play with a left-footed shot past Bucknell goalkeeper Mike Lansing, drawing a hearty cheer from the crowd. The goal is the second of the year for Ledgister, while Klingenberg tallied his second assist of the season.

Senior captain John Gallagher (Pine Bush, N.Y.) gave the Nittany Lions a 1-0 lead in the 22nd minute before the Bison drew even on Collin Costello's penalty kick conversion nine minutes later.

Sophomore keeper Andrew Wolverton (Snellville, Ga.) finished with three saves for the Nittany Lions. The Blue and White finished with a 24-9 lead in shots, including 7-4 on goal, and a 12-4 advantage in corner kicks. With the win, Wolverton moves his record to 3-1-2.

Shane Campbell (York, Pa.) started the first scoring play of the game, reversing field with a pass to Gallagher on the left side. From there, Gallagher eluded a Bison back and ripped a shot from the edge of the 18-yard box and into the right corner of the goal.

Penn State opened up early offensively, thanks to a nifty move by Daniel Burnham (Boise, Idaho) in the third minute. The senior midfielder put a ball between a defender's legs on the right flank and ran unopposed into the penalty area before feeding across the box to a wide-open Grant Warming (Omaha, Neb.). The ensuing shot was an unfortunate one for Warming, as it clanked off the left post and out of his reach.

The Nittany Lions spent much of the second frame in the attacking third, tallying 11 shots over the final 45 minutes. Junior Mikey Minutillo (San Jose, Calif.) placed a shot off the crossbar near the right post in the 60th minute, narrowly missing out on his second goal of the season. With time running down, both teams exchanged shots on goal in a 2-minute span prior to Ledgister's 88th-minute game-winning tally. In the 86th minute, Bucknell's Jesse Klug sped through the Nittany Lion back line and into a one-on-one situation with Wolverton, who used his entire 6-foot 5-inch frame to get in the way of the shot and preserve the 1-1 score.




  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago