Men's Lacrosse Falls to Hobart in Overtime 8-7

Follow PSU Men's Lacrosse:    

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa., April, 10 2004 -The Penn State men's lacrosse team (3-5, 0-2) lost its third non-conference match of the season to the Hobart Statesmen (6-4, 5-1) in overtime, 8-7. Junior attackman Will Cutler (Vienna, Va.) led the Nittany Lions in scoring with four goals and sophomore Nate Whitaker (Great Falls, Va.) recorded an assist to extend his scoring streak to 22 games.

Hobart led 6-5 heading into the fourth quarter before freshman Patrick Heim (Wayne, Pa.) tied the game for Penn State with his unassisted goal at the 7:54 mark. The Statesmen responded with an unassisted goal from Chris David to take a one-goal advantage for the third time in the game. Just as it looked like Hobart had clinched the victory, Cutler tallied his fourth goal of the day with one second remaining to bring the game to overtime. It took almost 12 minutes into the overtime period before Statesmen midfielder Chris Scanlon notched his second goal of the game to claim victory for Hobart.

The Statesmen outscored Penn State in the fourth quarter 4-1, which included three-straight goals to end the period. Chris Scanlon, Nate Hill, Mike Conklin and Brian Joy all scored for Hobart while junior Will Jones (Annapolis, Md.) scored an extra-man goal on an assist from sophomore Chris Gannett (Downingtown, Pa.). The Statesmen were a perfect five for five on face-offs and collected 12 ground balls in the quarter.

Penn State opened the second quarter with four straight goals to take a 4-1 lead. Cutler notched three-straight tallies in two minutes and thirty seconds to complete the hat trick on the day. Sophomore John Eremus (Rosemont, Pa.) then scored an extra-man goal at the 8:06 mark on an assist from freshman Gil Pearsall (Carthage, N.Y.) to round out the Lions' scoring in the quarter. Hobart attackman Mark Williamson scored a goal late in the second to cut the Penn State lead to 4-2 heading into halftime.

Hobart attackman Nate Hill scored the only goal of the first quarter, unassisted, at the 12:03 mark. Penn State was shutout by the Statesmen defense as the Nittany Lions were only able to fire off two shots in the opening 15 minutes of the game. Junior goalkeeper Josh LaGrow (Skaneateles, N.Y.) played 60:51 minutes and made 13 saves while senior Mike Stoltz (Parkton, Md.) saw 3:09 minutes. Statesmen goal keeper Dan Valente played all 64 minutes making nine saves.

Penn State will travel to Emmitsburg, Md. on Saturday, Apr. 17 to take on Mt. Saint Mary's at 2:00 p.m. The Nittany Lions will return home on Tuesday, Apr. 20 to take on Bucknell in a night game starting at 7:30 p.m.

GOAL - (ASSISTS): PSU 1st quarter- no scoring; 2nd quarter-Will Cutler - (Greg Hale), Will Cutler, Will Cutler - (Nate Whitaker), John Eremus - (Gil Pearsall); 3rd quarter-Will Jones - (Chris Gannett); 4th quarter-Patrick Heim, Will Cutler. UH 1st quarter-Nate Hill; 2nd quarter-Mark Williamson - (Nate Hill); 3rd quarter-Chris Scanlon - (Nate Hill), Nate Hill, Mike Conklin - (Mark Williamson, Brian Joy; 4th quarter-Chris David; Overtime-Chris Scanlon.

SAVES: PSU, Josh LaGrow (60:51 minutes, 7 goals allowed, 13 saves), Mike Stoltz (3:09 minutes, 1 goals allowed, 0 saves)

UH: Dan Valente (64:00 minutes, 7 goals allowed, 9 saves)


EMO: PSU, 2-5: UH, 0-7




  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago