|Follow PSU Men's Hockey:||Follow @PennStateMHKY|
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - Freshman Nate Sucese (Fairport, N.Y.) registered a pair of goals and added an assist for a career-high three points to lead the 12th ranked Penn State Nittany Lions past The University of Alaska-Anchorage, 3-1, in non-conference men's ice hockey action this evening from Pegula Ice Arena.
PSU runs their unbeaten streak to nine games and improves to 9-1-1 on the year while the Seawolves drop to 1-9-0 overall.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Freshman Brandon Biro (Sherwood Park, Alb.) opened the scoring with a power-play tally at 5:19 of the first period after a brilliant move out in front of the crease moving right to left and finishing past the pad of Seawolf net-minder Olivier Mantha for the 1-0 score. Sucese and sophomore Kevin Kerr (Bensalem, Pa.) assisted on Biro's second goal of the season.
- Sucese then found the back of the net himself in the second period as a blast from sophomore Derian Hamilton (Port McNeill, B.C.) went wide, but bounced off the end boards to a wide open Sucese in the slot and he didn't miss the empty net for the 2-0 lead at 14:02 of the middle frame. Freshman Nikita Pavlychev (Yaroslavl, Russia) added the second assist on the play.
- Tad Kozun cut the deficit in half for UAA at 5:54 of the third period as his wrist shot from the slot beat freshman net-minder Peyton Jones (Langhorne, Pa.) low glove going off the post and in for the 2-1 score.
- Sucese would put the game away with just 24 ticks left on the clock as he chased down a dump off the half wall from senior Ricky DeRosa (Aston, Pa.) and found the empty net for the 3-1 final.
Jones stopped 22 shots to once again remain unbeaten and improve to 8-0-1 on the year while Mantha falls to 1-7-0 after making 53 saves and being named the game's third star.
- Derian Hamilton collected his first point of the 2016-17 season with the primary assist on Sucese's second period goal.
- Freshman Denis Smirnov (Moscow, Russia) saw his season opening 10-game point streak come to an end as he was held without a point for the first time this season.
- Sucese moves into second on the team with six goals on the season after his two tonight.
- Penn State was 1-for-5 on the power-play and held the Seawolves without a goal on four chances.
- The Nittany Lions recorded over 50 shots for the 3rd time this season after outshooting the visitors 56-23 and improve to 3-0-0 when reaching that mark.
- Penn State controlled the dot for the second consecutive night winning the face-off battle 42-26.
- PSU improves to 6-0-1 when scoring the game's first goal.
- Penn State's 47 goals through the first 11 games is good for fourth in the nation and they have improved their face-off percentage to .567 good for second in the nation just .011 behind Union.
- This current nine game unbeaten streak ties the program record of 7-0-2 set last season. Penn State is also tied for the national lead at 8-0-1 with Boston College's current streak which they will put on the line tomorrow against Arizona State.
Penn State remains home to battle Arizona State in a pair of tilts next Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m. in their last non-conference series before Big Ten play begins the following weekend.