|Follow PSU Men's Hockey:||Follow @PennStateMHKY|
POTSDAM, N.Y. – Freshman Brandon Biro (Sherwood Park, Alberta) scored the lone goal for No. 10 Penn State as the Nittany Lions dropped a, 2-1, decision to Clarkson University in non-conference action to open the 2017-18 season this evening at Cheel Arena.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- An early turnover in the defensive zone by Penn State (0-1-0) led to an odd-man rush for the Golden Knights (1-0-0) and Marly Quince received a pass below the right dot from Juho Jokiharju and was able to finish past the glove of sophomore Peyton Jones (Langhorne, Pa.) for the 1-0 lead just 14 seconds in.
- The hosts extended the lead at 13:24 of the second period as Kelly Summers sent a wrister through traffic from the blue line that leaked through and beat Jones on the blocker side for the 2-0 edge.
- Penn State responded on the man-advantage just 76 seconds later as sophomore Brandon Biro (Sherwood Park, Alberta) tipped a wrist shot from classmate Kris Myllari (Kanata, Ontario) past Golden Knight sophomore goaltender Jake Kielly for the 2-1 score at 14:40 of the middle frame.
Jones stopped 19 shots and falls to 0-1-0 while Kielly made 38 saves to move to 1-0-0 to begin the season.
- Penn State falls to 3-2-1 all-time in season openers and is now 1-1 on the road to open the season.
- Clarkson evens the all-time series with Penn State as each team has one win apiece.
- Penn State held the 39-21 edge in shots and was 1-for-4 with the man-advantage while Clarkson went 0-for-2 on the power-play.
- Penn State opted for the extra attacker over the final 1:51 of the game, but were unable to collect the equalizer.
- Clarkson controlled the draw all night holding the 40-27 edge on faceoffs.
Penn State will travel 10 miles down the road to battle St. Lawrence tomorrow night at 7 p.m. to conclude the opening weekend of play for the 2017-18 season.