FACTS & FIGURES
- Construction Groundbreaking: February 2012
- Ceremonial Groundbreaking: April 2012
- Opening: September 2013 (Projected)
- Capacity: 6,000 (Main Rink)
- 300 (Community Rink)
- Size: 200,000-square feet
- Multi-purpose facility with two NHL-sized (200’ x 85’) ice surfaces
- Main Rink will offer:
- 6,000-seat capacity
- 1,000-seat student section
- First-rate varsity locker rooms, including dry changing room and lounge
- Strength and Conditioning center
- Shooting gallery
- Suites, loge boxes and club seats
- State-of-the-art television and radio broadcasting facilities
- Press box and media center
- Concession stands with café
- Community Rink will offer
- 300-seat capacity
- Eight locker rooms
- Skate rental center
- Ability to host National Hockey League and American Hockey League games, as well as professional ice shows, and local hockey and figure skating programs
Pegula Ice ArenaThe Future Home of Penn State Hockey
Pegula Ice Arena, which broke ground in early February 2012, will feature two ice surfaces - a main rink, home to Penn State's varsity hockey programs, and a community rink. The main arena will feature 6,000 seats, including a 1,000-seat student section.
The two-sheet facility will be home to the Nittany Lions beginning with the 2013-14 season and will feature a 5,000-square foot weight room, hydrotherapy training room, steam room, team lounge and locker room area.
When visitors come to Hockey Valley, they will experience some of the best amenities college hockey has to offer. Pegula Ice Arena will feature an interactive history of Penn State Hockey, as well as concession stands, suites, loge boxes and club seats. In addition, the arena's ability to house state-of- the-art media and broadcasting facilities will allow it to host National Hockey League and American Hockey League games, bringing hockey's best to State College.
The Centre County community will also be able to take advantage of the community rink, which will be open approximately 360 days per year for public use. The rink will seat 300 fans, feature eight locker rooms and host local youth hockey and skating programs.
The facility was brought to fruition by the $102 million donation - the largest in University history - from Terrence M. and Kim Pegula, who, through their gift, helped elevate Penn State's club programs to the NCAA Division I level.
Pegula Ice Arena will be located near the corner of University Drive and Curtin Road, across from the Bryce Jordan Center. It will be completed in time for the 2013-14 season, coinciding with the men's and women's hockey teams second year at the varsity level. The men's team will join the Big Ten for the 2013-14 season, while the women's squad will begin its second year as a member of College Hockey America.
Pegula Ice Arena VideosPegula Ice Arena Virtual Tour (April 5, 2013)
Arena Floor Concrete Slap Pour Time Lapse (March 8, 2013)
Pegula Ice Arena Topping Out Ceremony (Nov. 9, 2012)
A Virtual Look Inside Pegula Ice Arena (April 10, 2012)
(Click here for full story)
Pegula Ice Arena PhotosPhoto Gallery - June 2013
Construction Site Webcam (updated every 20 minutes)
Pegula Ice Arena RenderingsPegula Ice Arena Renderings