|Follow PSU Football:||Follow @PennStateFball|
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa.-- Penn State Intercollegiate Athletics announced today improvements to 2017 Football Overnight RV (ORV) parking as a result of analysis over the past six months around overall fan experience and safety recommendations.
During the past eight months, Penn State Athletics initiated an Overnight RV (ORV) Advisory Board comprised of fans who regularly park in ORV for Nittany Lion football games. In addition, survey responses from a strong sampling of ORV patrons informed these decisions. Included in the improvements is an increase in space by more than 50 percent for each ORV as compared to last year, as well as accommodations to improve ingress and egress at the Overnight RV lot. These changes were informed by recommendations from the surveys and the ORV Advisory Board, as well as careful analysis by ICA and the University.
"The creation of an ORV advisory board was an important step in addressing fan interest in enhancing the overall experience in the Overnight lot. We have received excellent feedback about RV parking and suggestions on how to improve this experience," said Deputy AD Phil Esten. "We listened to our fans and took a hard look at the overall RV experience. First and foremost, we feel the changes we are implementing will dramatically improve the fan experience. Additionally, these improvements are in line with national RV guidelines and regulations, allowing for better safety and security measures to be taken, starting this season."
Improved Safety and Fan Experience
The size of ORV parking stalls will grow this season from 18' x 40' to 28.5' x 40, an increase of more than 50 percent from the 2016 season. These larger stalls were very well received by overnight RV customers who attended last month's Blue-White Game. While a reduction in the number of Overnight RV parking stalls will occur, the changes will improve safety and reduce the chance of fire and exhaust from immediately impacting adjacent RVs, improve the movement for emergency personnel and equipment and create easier movement for all vehicles in the RV lots.
Penn State Athletics also will be creating approximately 80 new game day RV spaces in the Blue RV preferred lot, just south of Medlar Field at Lubrano Park. The size of the game day RV parking spaces in the other lots will remain the same as in 2016.
Key Overall RV Parking Information
- Overnight RV pricing will remain the same as in 2016.
- Fans can make requests for season RV parking permits. All requests will be filled in Nittany Lion Club point total order.
- Single game ORV/RV parking will only be available if season RV parking is not sold out.
- Patrons will be able to purchase one season overnight RV permit per account.
- In anticipation of the Overnight RV lot being sold out on a season basis, fans will not be able to cash in a car pass or a reserved/preferred pass for the ORV lot as credit.
- Season ticket holders who have not already purchased season overnight RV parking, can submit their season request starting at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, June 6 at their account manager. (See below for more information).
- Fans parking in the ORV lots who require ADA assistance can call 1-800-NITTANY (weekdays 8 a.m-5 p.m.) for more information. ADA spaces are available, as in previous years.
- To improve the fan experience for season ticket holders and season permit holders in the RV lot with overnight accommodations (Yellow RV and Overnight RV):
- Serve those fans who purchase early with space in the primary lot
- Provide approximately 50 percent more space for each RV
- Add new roadways, with street names and space numbers
- Provide accountability by assigning a street "address" for each RV
- "Address" helps identify tailgate location for visitors
- Provide quicker access through a separate entrance for pre-paid ORV
- Reduce the density of RVs, making conditions safer
- Lower concentration of carbon monoxide
- Mitigate risk of fire spreading from RV to RV
- Tailgates contained in larger spaces, freeing up drive aisles for emergency access
- Enhance communication of updates to those who purchased ORV permits
- Alert to weather changes impacting lot
- Enforce rules as requested by the ORV Advisory Group
- Each permit holder assigned to a specific space/street "address"
- Encourage activities that promote adherence to policies and a great experience for all fans in the ORV lot.
- Season ticket holders who have not already purchased a season RV parking permit, can submit their season request starting at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, June 6. The RV sale will end at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, June 14.
- All season ticket holders can make requests for RV parking permits. All requests will be filled in Nittany Lion Club point total order;
- The application will be in account manager, similar to process used for bowl games;
- The ticket office will collect payment information, but will not charge the credit card unless the patron is confirmed to receive RV parking.
- If the Overnight RV lot is sold out, RVs will be directed to Grange Fairgrounds:
- 1,500 RV spaces with water and electric hook-up;
- Shower houses;
- Home game week: $60 per night (Thursday-Saturday nights); $30 per night (Sunday-Wednesday nights). $40 per week to keep RV at Grange Fairgrounds in between home games. RVs must depart Grange by the day after the final home game.
- Approximately 14 miles from Beaver Stadium;
- Penn State operates a game shuttle service for an additional cost