|Follow PSU Football:||Follow @PennStateFball|
Sept. 14, 2008
- Penn State has won 34 of its last 43 games, tied for No. 7 in the nation over that span.
- Since the start of the 2005 season, the Nittany Lions are 32-9 (78.0), tied with Auburn for No. 12 in the nation.
- The victory was No. 375 in the career of Hall of Fame coach Joe Paterno, who remains tied with Florida State coach Bobby Bowden for most career wins by a major college coach.
- The 55 points were the most Penn State has scored in the 69 games vs. Syracuse. The previous high was 49 points in 1973.
- Penn State moved its season point total to 166, a program record for the first three games of the season. The previous mark over 122 seasons of Penn State football was 165 points by the 1926 squad. The record-setting 1994 team scored 155 points in its first three games.
- For the third consecutive week, Penn State had at least 35 points at halftime, the first time the Nittany Lions have done so since the first three games of the 1994 season. The Nittany Lions rolled to an incredible 393 yards in the first half, averaging 8.0 yards per play in taking a 38-6 lead at the break.
- Penn State is the only team in the nation averaging more than 260 rushing yards per game (263.0) and more than 270 passing yards per game (273.0) according to latest NCAA statistics.
- Penn State is ranked in the Top 10 nationally in three offensive categories: scoring (No. 4, 55.3 ppg), total (No. 8, 536.0 ypg) and rushing (T No. 9, 263.0). The Nittany Lions also are No. 25 in passing offense at 273.0 ypg.
- The Nittany Lions' 13 rushing touchdowns are third-highest in the nation, trailing only Oklahoma State and TCU (tied with 14). Sophomore TB Evan Royster had six rushing TD in the first two games, but did not score vs. Syracuse.
- The Nittany Lion defense is ranked in the Top 25 nationally in the four primary categories: rushing (No. 16, 64.3 ypg), pass efficiency (20, 94,.8 rating), total (No. 23, 256.3 ypg) and scoring (T No. 19, 12.3 ppg),
- Penn State quarterbacks Daryll Clark (163), Pat Devlin (130) and Paul Cianciolo (51) combined for 344 passing yards, the most for Penn State since 381 yards vs. Central Michigan in 2005. The 344 yards were tied for No. 10 all-time under Joe Paterno.
- Pat Devlin completed his first six passes for 76 yards and threw the first two TD passes of his career.
- Paul Cianciolo threw his second career TD pass, giving Penn State three quarterbacks with a TD pass in the game.
- Senior WR Deon Butler made a game-high seven receptions for 110 yards and two TD (all in first half). The seven catches were tied for second-highest in his career.
- Deon Butler's two TD catches were No 16 and 17 in his career, as he passed O.J. McDuffie for third place on PSU career list.
- Senior WR Jordan Norwood made five receptions for 113 yards and two scores (all in first half), delivering his second consecutive 100-yard game, becoming the first Lion to do so since Bryant Johnson in 2001 vs. Michigan and Northwestern.
- Jordan Norwood's 55-yard TD catch on the fourth play from scrimmage was his longest career reception and Daryll Clark's longest career completion and tied for the Nittany Lions' longest play of the season.
- Deon Butler (7-110-2) and Norwood became the first Penn State tandem to eclipse 100 receiving yards since Matt Kranchick (136) and Tony Johnson (122) did so vs. Wisconsin in 2003.
- Sophomore Tailback Evan Royster eclipsed the century mark for the second consecutive week, gaining 101 yards on just 13 carries for a superb 7.8 average. For the season, Royster has 306 yards on 38 attempts (8.1 avg.) and six touchdowns, averaging 102.0 yards per game.
- The Nittany Lions host Temple on Saturday, Sept. 20 at 12:00 p.m. The game will air on the Big Ten Network as well as the Penn State Sports Network and GoPSUsports.com, the official website of Penn State Athletics.
- Top Videos
Feature: Franklin, Nittany Lions Announce 2016 Signing Class
Franklin and Penn State Football Ink Top 25 Class
Extensive Signing Day Coverage Set for GoPSUsports.com
Quartet of Nittany Lions to Play in Pro Bowl Sunday
Record 56 Penn State Football Student-Athletes Post 3.0 GPA or Higher in Fall Semester
Nittany Lion Great Curt Warner Elected to West Virginia Sports Hall of Fame
Press Conference - Head Coach James Franklin (Season Review)
Carter and Zettel to Play in East-West Shrine Game