Notes and Records -- Penn State vs. Oregon State
Sept. 6, 2008
- Penn State has won 22 of its last 24 home games, dating to a win over Michigan State on Senior Day in 2004.
- The Nittany Lions have won 33 of their last 42 games overall (78.6) , tied for the seventh-best record nationally over that span entering today's games.
- Penn State improves to 23-11 all-time in games against current members of the Pac-10. Oregon State was the last Pac-10 team that Penn State had not played. The Lions are 6-1 vs. Pac-10 squads since starting Big Ten play in 1993.
-The Nittany Lions are 54-11 (83.1) in non-conference games since joining the Big Ten.
- The Nittany Lions have scored a combined 111 points in their first two games, the most since the 1999 squad also scored 111 (41-7 vs. Arizona and 70-24 vs. Akron). The 1994 team scored 94 points in its first two games (56-3 vs. Minnesota; 38-14 vs. USC). This year marks the fourth time Penn State has scored at least 100 points in its first games in Joe Paterno's 43 years as head coach.
-Penn State has scored at least 35 first half points in consecutive games for the first time since notching 35 or more in the first half of its first three games in 1994. (35 at Minnesota, 35 vs. Southern California, and 45 vs. Iowa).
- The Nittany Lions had eight plays of 20 yards or more from scrimmage, giving them 16 in the first two games.
- Penn State has a combined 1,048 yards of total offense in the first two games.
- Junior QB Daryll Clark set career-highs with 215 yards passing, 14 completions, 23 attempts and 61 yards rushing.
- Daryll Clark had a career-long 24-yard run in the first quarter.
- TB Evan Royster broke his career high for rushing yardage with 141 yards on 17 carries (8.3). His previous high was 126 last season against Purdue. Today was Royster's second career 100-yard rushing game.
- Evan Royster has scored a combined six touchdowns in the first two games of the season, the first Nittany Lion player to accomplish the feat in his first two games since Lydell Mitchell had six against Navy and Iowa in the first two games of 1971 (five vs. Navy, one vs. Iowa). Royster is the only player under Joe Paterno to have six rushing touchdowns in his first two games, as Mitchell had five rushing touchdowns and one receiving touchdown.
- Evan Royster is the first Nittany Lion with a combined six touchdowns in consecutive games since Larry Johnson ran for eight touchdowns (4 in each game) vs. Indiana and Michigan State in the final two regular season games in 2002.
-WR Deon Butler had one catch for 24 yards today, moving him into second place on the career receiving yardage list with 2,014 yards. He trails only Bobby Engram, who had 3,026 receiving yards in his career.
-WR Jordan Norwood had a career-high 116 yards receiving on a career-high tying eight receptions. His previous high for yardage was 110 yards against Florida State in the 2006 Orange Bowl. He had eight receptions last season against Indiana.
-Norwood's eight receptions for 116 yards give him 129 catches for 1,568 yards in his career. He moves him into third place on the career reception chart behind teammate Deon Butler who has 135 catches and also moves him into 10th place on the career receiving yards chart, behind Tony Johnson who had 1,702 yards receiving.
- PK Kevin Kelly's third-quarter field goal extended his school record streak of consecutive games with a field goal made to 22.
- LB Tyrell Sales recorded a career-high 10 tackles (9 solo). His previous high was eight vs. Cincinnati in 2005 and Michigan State last year.
LB Navorro Bowman had a career-high 10 tackles. His previous high was three tackles against Buffalo and Ohio State last season.
- DE Aaron Maybin recorded his third sack of the season.
-DE Jerome Hayes made his first career start. Hayes left the game in second half with what was diagnosed as a serious injury to his left knee.
-Today's attendance of 108,159 is the largest crowd that Oregon State has ever played in front of. The previous high was 104,741 at Michigan in 1986.
- Penn State will visit Syracuse next Saturday at 3:30 p.m. in the first meeting between the old rivals since 1990. The game will be regionally televised on ABC and ESPN GamePlan.