Penn State Football Post-Game Notes
|Follow PSU Football:||Follow @PennStateFball|
Aug 31, 2013
- Penn State leads the all-time series against Syracuse, 41-23-5, The Nittany Lions posted their fifth straight on-field victory over the Orange.
- Penn State has a 28-5-1 on-field record in regular season neutral site games since 1974.
- The Nittany Lions have won three straight regular season neutral site games and 11 of their last 12, dating to the 1991 Kickoff Classic win over Georgia Tech in Giants Stadium.
- Penn State is 4-2 in games away from Beaver Stadium under head coach Bill O'Brien.
- Penn State improved to 11-3 in games played at The Meadowlands Sports Complex, with a 4-2 mark in season opening games.
- Four players made their first career starts: DT Kyle Baublitz, QB Christian Hackenberg, CB Jordan Lucas and LB Nyeem Wartman.
- Penn State was 2-for-2 on fourth down vs. Syracuse.
- Penn State's travel squad included 31 freshmen (16 true, 15 RS), comprising 42% of the travel squad of 74 players.
- The Nittany Lions played in their eighth current NFL stadium with their first game at MetLife Stadium. Penn State has played in six current NFL stadiums since the 2005 season and will play Maryland at M&T Bank Stadium in 2015.
- Penn State has a 182-87-11 on field record against the 14 ACC football schools. Duke and Virginia Tech are the only ACC teams the Nittany Lions have not played on the gridiron.
- QB Christian Hackenberg became the second true freshman quarterback to start a Penn State season opener since 1910, joining Rob Bolden (2010).
- Christian Hackenberg's 278 yards were the third highest yardage total for a freshman quarterback in school history (280 - Mills, 2001 vs. OSU and USM). He completed 22-of-31 passes and threw a pair of 50-plus yard touchdown passes in the second half.
- In the second half, Christian Hackenberg was 11 of 16 for 209 yards and 2 TD to extend PSU's 6-3 halftime lead to a 23-17 win.
- QB Christian Hackenberg became the 27th different quarterback in school history to post a 200-yard passing game.
- QB Christian Hackenberg completed his first six passing attempts, with a five-yard completion to Zach Zwinak on the Nittany Lions' first play from scrimmage.
- QB Christian Hackenberg threw his first career touchdown pass, a 51-yard catch and run by WR Allen Robinson, on the first drive of the third quarter.
- T Garry Gilliam made his first career start on the offensive line; he had 11 starts at tight end prior to today.
- WR Allen Robinson caught his 12th career touchdown pass in the third quarter. He is ninth on the all-time receiving touchdown list.
- WR Allen Robinson posted his third career 100-yard receiving game. He is the 18th player in Penn State history with three or more 100-yard receiving games.
- WR Geno Lewis made his first career reception in the first quarter and hauled in a 54-yard touchdown catch for his first career scoring grab in the fourth quarter for a 23-10 lead.
- The Penn State defense limited Syracuse to 11 first downs, 71 rushing yards on 37 attempts (1.9) and 3.5 yards per play. The Orange averaged 187.0 rushing yards (4.4 per carry) in 2012.
- Stephen Obeng-Agyapong forced a Syracuse fumble and recovered the ball for Penn State's first forced turnover of the season. The fumble hit lead to a Sam Ficken FG. It was the second career forced and recovered fumble for Obeng-Agyapong.
- Primarily playing OLB, Stephen Obeng-Agyapong had his first career interception in the third quarter and returned it four yards to the Syracuse 44 yard line to set-up Sam Ficken's 46-yard FG for a 16-10 lead.
- Safety Malcolm Willis and Safety/LB Stephen Obeng-Agyapong each made eight tackles, one shy of their career-best efforts.
- DT DaQuan Jones had a team and career-high nine tackles, including a career-best three TFL (minus-12). Jones prior career high was four tackles vs. Navy on Sept. 15, 2012.
- With 3 TFL vs. Syracuse, DT DaQuan Jones surpassed his 2012 TFL total (2 for minus-6 yds).
- CB Trevor Williams made his first career start on defense vs. Syracuse. Williams made his first career start vs. Ohio State on Oct. 27, 2012 at wide receiver.
- CB Trevor Williams grabbed his first career interception with 1:53 left in the fourth quarter. Williams added a career-best three tackles.
- Making his first career start, CB Jordan Lucas made a career-high 3 tackles, with 0.5 TFL. He and LB Glenn Carson tied for team lead with two pass break-ups.
- PK Sam Ficken connected on field goals from 35, 36 and 46 yards vs. Syracuse and pushed his consecutive field goals made streak to 13. His 46-yard field goal in the fourth quarter was a career-long, besting a 43-yard effort against Eastern Michigan in 2011.
- PK Sam Ficken delivered four touchbacks on his six kickoffs.
- DE Carl Nassib recorded a 17-yard tackle for loss on the Syracuse punter Riley Dixon in the second quarter to force a turnover on downs.
- Safety Jesse Della Valle's 31 punt return in the fourth quarter was a career-long effort. His previous career long was 29 yards against Temple in 2012. On the first play after his return, Christian Hackenberg threw a 54-yard scoring strike to Eugene Lewis for a 23-10 lead with 11:39 to play.
- Penn State will play its home opener and begin a three-game homestand on Saturday, Sept. 7 at 12 p.m. against Eastern Michigan. The game will air on the Big Ten Network. The Eagles opened their season with a win over Howard. Penn State season and single game tickets are available at GoPSUsports.com and 1-800-NITTANY.