Post Game Notes
|Follow PSU Football:||Follow @PennStateFball|
Jan. 1, 2011
Penn State Outback Bowl - Post Game Notes - 1/1/2011
- Penn State is 58-19 (75.3) over the past six seasons, entering bowl season with the nation's No. 10 winning percentage since the start of the 2005 season
- Making its 43rd bowl appearance, Penn State is 27-14-2 (65.1) in post-season games. The Nittany Lions entered bowl season No. 3 nationally in bowl wins and No. 8 in bowl appearances. Penn State played in a New Year's bowl for the fifth time in the past us years.
- Penn State suffered its first loss in the Outback Bowl after beating Auburn (1996), Kentucky (1999) and Tennessee (2007) in its previous New Year's Day appearances in Tampa.
- The Nittany Lions played a team from the same state as the bowl site for the fourth time in the last six years, dropping to 2-2 in such games (6-6-2 all-time)
- Penn State made its 20th bowl appearance in Florida. The Lions dropped to 10-9-1 in post-season games in the Sunshine State.
- The Nittany Lions saw their two-game winning streak against SEC bowl foes snapped. The Nittany Lions are 9-6 all-time in bowl games vs. SEC opponents; 8-5 under Joe Paterno. Overall, Penn State has won 7 of its last 11 games vs. SEC foes (regular season and bowls).
- Florida's blocked punt for a TD in the second quarter was the first against the Lions since Iowa had one in 2009.
- Joe Paterno's career record is 401-135-3 in his 45th season. He is the all-time leader in FBS coaching victories.
- Joe Paterno is the all-time leader in bowl wins (24-12-1 record) and appearances (37).
- Joe Paterno led Penn State its 25th New Year's bowl game, owning a 17-8 record
- Senior TB Evan Royster's 23-yard run in the fourth quarter made him the first Nittany Lion to earn three 1,000-yard rushing seasons. Royster gained 98 yards on 20 carries vs. Florida to finish the season with 1,014 yards on 208 carries.
- Penn State's career rushing yardage leader, Evan Royster finished his career with 3,932 yards on 686 carries and 29 rushing touchdowns. Curt Warner (1979-82) is second with 3,398 yards.
- Evan Royster's 30-yard reception putting Penn State on Florida's four-yard line in the second quarter marked his longest of the season.
- Junior WR Derek Moye become the 11th Nittany Lion player to record at least 100 career receptions with a first quarter grab. Moye had game-highs with five catches and 79 yards and a TD catch. He ends the season with 53 catches for 885 yards and eight touchdown catches.
- Derek Moye made his 15th career TD reception in the first quarter and his eighth on the season. Moye becomes the seventh Penn State player to record 15 or more receiving touchdowns for their career and the first since Deon Butler ended his career with 22 in 2008.
- Matt McGloin's five interceptions are a Penn State game record. Four Nittany Lions had thrown four interceptions in a game (Rich Lucas at Illinois, 1959; Bob Parsons vs. Syracuse, 1970; Todd Blackledge at Alabama, 1982; Zack Mills at Boston College, 2004).
- CB D'Anton Lynn recorded his third career interception (and third of season) in the first quarter. He tied Nick Sukay for the team lead in interceptions this season. He also grabbed a fumble recovery in the Penn State's end zone to end a Florida drive and grab two turnovers in the first 10 minutes of the game.
- Saf Malcolm Willis and LB Gani Gbadyu forced the Florida fumble on Penn State's 1-yard line. It was the second career forced fumble for Gbadyu and first for Willis and the first career fumble recovery for D'Anton Lynn.
- Senior LB Chris Colasanti made a game-high 10 tackles, recording his fifth double figure tackle game of the season.
- LB Chris Colasanti finished the season with a team-high 112 tackles.
- Junior DT Devon Still's 3.5 TFL are a career-high
- Florida RB Chris Rainey's 51-yard third quarter run tied the longest against Penn State this season.
- Top Videos
Football Set for a Pair of BTN Primetime Games
DT Tarow Barney Joins New York Jets as Undrafted Free Agent
Penn State Uplifting Athletes to Auction Autographed Footballs from Blue-White Game
Nittany Lion Club Presale for Football Single Game Tickets Begins May 10
Levi Brown Still Maximizing Opportunity by Earning Third Degree
Kyle Carter Signs with Minnesota Vikings as Undrafted Free Agent
Penn State White Out Game vs. Ohio State Set for Primetime
Trevor Williams Signs with San Diego Chargers as Undrafted Free Agent