|Follow PSU Football:||Follow @PennStateFball|
James Franklin will be joined by nine head coaches and all nine assistant football coaches during the Coaches Caravan.
Press Conference Transcripts
Penn State Football Staff Has Extensive Familiarity and Recruiting Ties to Mid-Atlantic, South and East
• Huff was a versatile player and team captain at Hampton University, playing multiple positions on offense, which has greatly assisted him during his college and NFL coaching career.
• In the 2016 Big Ten Championship season, Huff mentored a pair of Penn State record breakers in sophomore running back Saquon Barkley and junior kicker Tyler Davis.
• Barkley broke the Penn State sophomore record for rushing yards (1,496), all-purpose yards (1,972) and points scored (132) on the way to winning Big Ten Graham-George Offensive Player of the Year and Big Ten Ameche-Dayne Running Back of the Year.
• Davis collected All-Big Ten first team honors after tying the Big Ten season record for kicking points (128) and breaking the school record for field goals by a junior (22) and consecutive field goals made (18). Davis also won the Vlade Award for the nation’s most accurate kicker, given by the Touchdown Club of Columbus.
• Huff guided freshman punter Blake Gillikin, who was All-Big Ten honorable mention and ESPN.com True Freshman All-America, after averaging 42.8 yards per punt to rank seventh on Penn State’s season list.
• In 2015, Huff was instrumental in the breakout season of Barkley. The Freshman All-American broke the Penn State freshman season rushing record with 1,076 yards en route to being named the Big Ten Network’s Big Ten Freshman of the Year.
• In 2014, he guided Sam Ficken to All-Big Ten and Lou Groza Award semifinalist accolades, connecting on a Penn State season record 24 field goals (in 29 attempts).
• Huff spent the 2013 season at Western Michigan as the running backs coach and helped the unit nearly double its rushing yards from 2012. The Broncos ran for 1,394 yards in 2013 after running for just 735 yards the year before.
• Huff spent the 2012 season with the Buffalo Bills as assistant running backs coach, helping C.J. Spiller to his first career 1,000-yard rushing campaign and a Pro Bowl invitation. The Bills topped 2,000 rushing yards as a team for the first time in 13 seasons and ranked sixth in the NFL with 2,217 yards in 2012.
• Huff was a member of James Franklin’s 2011 staff at Vanderbilt as the offensive quality control coach and they worked together at Maryland in 2009, when Huff was the assistant offensive line coach.
• He also worked at Hampton (2010) as the offensive line/running game coordinator.
• Huff was the tight ends/special teams coach at Tennessee State (2007-08), working with NFL first-round draft pick Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.
• From Denton, Maryland, Huff began his coaching career as the Tennessee State offensive line coach in 2006 and also had duties in football operations in 2007-08.
The Huff File
Hometown - Denton, Md.
Alma Mater - Hampton University
Degree - Bachelors, Physical Education
2014-current - Penn State (special teams coordinator/running backs)
2013 - Western Michigan, Running Backs Coach
2012 - Buffalo Bills, Assistant Running Backs Coach
2011 - Vanderbilt, Assistant Special Teams Coordinator
2010 - Hampton, Offensive Line Coach
2009 - Maryland, Assistant Offensive Line Coach
2007-08 - Tennessee State, Tight Ends/Special Teams Coach
2006 - Tennessee State, Offensive Line Coach