|Follow PSU Men's Basketball:||Follow @PennStateMBB|
Nov. 18, 2013
|La Salle (2-1) at Penn State (2-1)|
|Date||Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013|
|Time||7:02 p.m. ET|
|Location||Bryce Jordan Center (University Park, Pa.)|
|TV/Web||ESPN3.com: Tim Neverett (pxp), Brian Allen (analysis)|
|Radio||ESPN Radio 1450/1390 WRSC-AM: Steve Jones (pxp), Dick Jerardi (analysis)|
|Game Notes||Penn State | La Salle|
|Social Media||Facebook | Twitter | Instagram|
|Tickets/Promotions||Purchase Tickets | Promotional Schedule|
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - The Penn State men's basketball team looks for back-to-back wins vs. Philadelphia teams when it hosts La Salle at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Bryce Jordan Center. The Nittany Lions (2-1) defeated Penn, 83-71, Saturday at The Palestra, while the Explorers enter the midweek matchup coming off consecutive wins vs. Quinnipiac and Siena.
LIMITED BAG POLICY
Penn State has implemented a limited bag policy at all home athletic events this season. One clear plastic one-gallon plastic bag per person will be permitted for medical needs, child care needs and general items as needed. Items that can fit in a pocket should remain in patrons' pockets (i.e. keys, cell phone, wallet, glasses, camera, sunscreen, lip balm, make-up). General items of this nature, including those that don't fit in patrons' pocket, can also be placed in a clear plastic one-gallon plastic bag. All clear bags will be inspected through the bag and article check stations as in prior years.
THE FUN STUFF
- The first 1,000 fans in attendance Tuesday will receive a D.J. Newbill caricature t-shirt.
- Kids Eat FREE: Kids 12 and under are able to select three items from a pre-set menu for free at mid-week games this season.
- Students can hop on the bus to the BJC! Buses will pick up students 5:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesday from the intersections of Garner/Fairmount and Gill/Beaver.
AT A GLANCE
- The Nittany Lions have four players averaging in double figures after three games, led by Tim Frazier (22.3) and D.J. Newbill (18.3).
- Tim Frazier currently is the only player in the Big Ten among not only the Top 5, but the Top 10 in scoring (22.3 ppg), assists (6.0 apg) and steals (2.0 spg). He is second in the first two categories and tied for fourth in the latter after this weekend's action.
- With 83 points vs. Penn, the Nittany Lions have produced at least 80 points in back-to-back games for the first time since the 2006-07 season and wins over VMI, 129-11 (Dec. 30, 2006) and Northwestern, 83-57 (Jan. 3, 2007).
- The 47 first-half points were the most in a single half since the Lions had 48 in the second half of the win over No. 4 Michigan last season. The total stands as the most first-half points since Feb. 28, 2010, when the Lions put up 49 in the opening frame of a 79-60 win over Northwestern.
- PSU players have combined to take 89 free throws, led by Frazier's 31 attempts. At this rate, the Lions could attempt over 1,000 free throws in the regular season.
SCOUTING LA SALLE
The Explorers are 2-1 on the season after dropping their season opener vs. Manhattan and rebounding with wins over Quinnipiac and Siena last week. Tyreek Duren is leading four players in double-digits with 18.0 pgg, while Jerrell Wright is the third-leading scorer at 14.0 ppg and the top rebounder at 9.0 rpg. With 15 assists and seven steals to his credit this season, Duren became the third La Salle player in program history to reach the 1,250-point/400 assist plateau. The senior guard had 29 points vs. the Lions in La Salle's victory a year ago (more: below) en route to the team's Sweet 16 run.
La Salle holds a 3-1 lead in the all-time series, including a win in the meeting last season at The Palestra. This will be the first meeting in the series, which dates back to 1954, at either team's campus site. The first three were in neutral venues, including a matchup in the 1954 Final Four in Madison Square Garden, with last year's taking place at The Palestra. Head coach Patrick Chambers is 0-2 vs. the Explorers with an 0-1 mark at both Boston University and Penn State.
LAST TIME OUT
Tim Frazier and D.J. Newbill combined to score 48 points as Penn State built a huge first-half lead on its way to an 83-71 win over Penn on Saturday. Paced by 59.4 percent first-half shooting, Penn State (2-1) led by as many as 25 before coasting into halftime with a commanding 47-24 lead. Newbill and Frazier, who make up one of the nation's best backcourts, never took their foot of the gas, penetrating through the Penn defense at will all afternoon. Frazier finished with a game-high 29 points on 9-for-13 shooting from the field and 11-for-12 shooting from the free-throw line, while Newbill, a Philly native, scored 19 points on 6-for-14 shooting.
Penn State remains at home for games against Longwood at 1 p.m. Sunday and vs. Monmouth at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 26. Both games at the Jordan Center are part of the Barclays Classic which will take the Lions to Brooklyn for post-Thanksgiving contests with St. John's and either Georgia Tech or Mississippi.
Nittany Lion basketball single-game tickets or group tickets can be purchased by calling 1-800-NITTANY, visiting GoPSUsports.com or through Ticketmaster. Single-game tickets range from $5-$24 with special group ticket rates for groups of 15 fans or more. Six-game mini plans also are currently available and feature games against: Marshall (Dec. 7), Michigan State (Dec. 31), Indiana (Jan. 11), Iowa (Feb. 15), Ohio State (Feb. 27) and Wisconsin (March 2). More information is available on GoPSUsports.com/tickets.
For all the latest information, notes, pictures and related links on Penn State basketball follow Associate Athletic Communications Director Alissa Clendenen (@GoPSUAlissaC) and the official Penn State men's basketball page (@PennStateMBB) on Twitter and check GoPSUsports.com. The Nittany Lions are also on Facebook at www.facebook.com/pennstatebasketball.
- Top Videos
Terrence Samuel Joins Nittany Lions
Penn State Among Las Vegas Classic Teams
Newbill Chasing NBA Dream One Workout at a Time
Chambers Announces Roster Change
VIDEO: Tim Frazier Talks Year One in the NBA
CvC Golf Tournament Helping Lead the Fight with a Positive Attitude
VIDEO: Patrick Chambers Press Conference at CVC Golf Tournament
Chambers, Program Prepare to Tee Off on 19th Annual CvC Golf Tournament