POST GAME NOTES: Penn State 86, Campbell 75
|Follow PSU Men's Basketball:||Follow @PennStateMBB|
Nov. 10, 2017
Penn State Team Notes
Penn State 86, Campbell 75
November 10, 2017
Bryce Jordan Center (University Park, Pa.)
- Penn State is 90-31 in season openers with wins in 12 of its last 13. Pat Chambers is 6-1 in season openers as Penn State head coach.
- Penn State starting lineup: Tony Carr, Shep Garner, Josh Reaves, Lamar Stevens, Julian Moore (eighth time).
- The Nittany Lions are now 1-0 against Campbell and 5-0 against teams from the Big South.
- Since moving to the Bryce Jordan Center in 1996, Penn State is 18-4 in home openers.
- Both Chambers and Campbell head coach Kevin McGeehan hail from the Philadelphia, as well as seven other Nittany Lions (Nazeer Bostick, Tony Carr, Shep Garner, Lamar Stevens, Mike Watkins, Julian Moore, and John Harrar).
- Chris Clemons, Campbell point guard, tied the Bryce Jordan Center overall record for most points scored in a game with 39 points (Maggie Lucas, 39 - 12/9/12). His 39 breaks the record for a men's game in the BJC. Previous: 37- D.J. Newbill vs. Purdue, 1/17/2015, and Will Solomon (Clemson, 12/1/1999)
Penn State Team Notes
- Penn State came out cold in the first half shooting 11 - 35, good for 31% from the field.
- The Nittany Lions got to the free throw line early and often shooting 14 first-half free throws and 41 total.
- Penn State reached the bonus with 6:17 left in the first half and did the same only 7:47 into the second half.
- Penn State
leadfor 33:51, including all 20 minutes of the second half.
- The Nittany Lions largest lead was 17 in the second half but was cut to five with 59-seconds left in the game. Penn State was able to fend off the late surge by Campbell thanks to Sophomore guard Tony Carr who scored 18 points in the last 5:53.
Nittany Lions Individual Notes
- Shep Garner appeared in his 100th career game. The senior has started all but five games in his four seasons.
- Garner scored eight points, passing Rob Brown (1971-74) for 20th on Penn State all-time scoring leaders with 1,191 career points.
- Tony Carr led the Nittany Lion charge, scoring a career-high 33 points while recording nine rebounds and seven assists in 35 minutes.
- Carr set career highs in points (33), field goals attempted (23), free throws made (13), and free throws attempted (15) while tying his career high in field goals made with nine.
- Junior Satchel Pierce, a transfer from Virginia Tech, made his debut as a Nittany Lion, while freshmen Jamari Wheeler and John Harrar made their first appearances for Penn State.
- Josh Reaves joined Carr in double digits with 15 points. He added eight rebounds, three steals, and a block.