|Follow PSU Men's Basketball:||Follow @PennStateMBB|
April 2, 2014
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa.- Patrick Chambers, head coach of the Penn State men's basketball team, and junior All-Big Ten guard D.J. Newbill recap the 2013-14 season and look ahead to the bright future of the program.
A few team highlights from this past season:
- With 16 wins, Penn State and head coach Patrick Chambers reached a victory mark topped just three times in this millennium (21, 2000-01; 27, 2008-09; 19, 2010-11) ... The six Big Ten wins have been topped just once in the previous four seasons.
- Penn State finished the regular season first in the Big Ten in two-point percentage defense (45.1) in conference action after holding eight B1G opponents to shooting percentages at or below 40%. The Lions are sixth in the Big Ten in total field-goal defense with opponents hitting 41 percent of their shots.
- The Lions’ five road wins, including three in the Big Ten, are the most since 2008-09 when they won six. Penn State has won three Big Ten road games just seven times in 21 previous seasons in the conference. Penn State has equal number of home/away B1G wins (3).
- Penn State had six one-possession games in Big Ten play, the most of any conference team. Nine of Penn State’s league games were decided by a combined 25 points (average of 2.8). The Lions went 5-7 on the season in games decided by five or fewer points, with the wins coming vs. Hampton in the CBI, Nebraska, Indiana and Ohio State (twice).
- Penn State had two players average double figures with the team producing 70.9 points per game and 65.3 in conference play, the highest-scoring offensive marks since the 2000-01 team put up 76.8 and 73.8 points per contest.
- The Lions swept Ohio State for the first time since 1998, becoming just the second team to beat the Buckeyes twice in the regular season in the last five years (MSU, 2012) and the first unranked team to do so since Minnesota in 2005 ... Penn State was the only unranked team to sweep a ranked team in the Big Ten this season.
- With John Johnson’ team-leading 20 points vs. Mount St. Mary’s, seven different PSU players led the team or tied for the lead in scoring through the 13-game non-conference schedule.
- Penn State had its most wins (9) before B1G play since 2008-09 (11).
- The 6-1 start was its best under head coach Patrick Chambers and overall since 2008-09 when the Nittany Lions opened 7-1.
|HEAD COACH Patrick Chambers|
|D.J. Newbill, JUNIOR GUARD|
- Top Videos
Penn State Hosts No. 20/21 Indiana Saturday
BLOG: Lions Return to BJC for Much Needed Home Game
Penn State Falls at No. 5 Iowa 73-49
Penn State, No. 5/7 Iowa Meet Wednesday on ESPNU
VIDEO: Garner, Nittany Lions Looking to Remain Confident After MSG
Basketball and Hockey Half Price Ticket Special for Penn State Winter Sports Weekend; 11 Teams at Home
VIDEO: Super Saturday Hoops & Hockey Sights and Sounds
Penn State Falls to Michigan to 79-72