|Follow PSU Men's Basketball:||Follow @PennStateMBB|
March 1, 2014
|PENN STATE (14-14, 5-10 B1G) vs. No. 14/14 WISCONSIN (23-5, 10-5 B1G)
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - Penn State closes out its regular-season home schedule with No. 14 Wisconsin at noon Sunday in the Bryce Jordan Center in the lone meeting between the teams this season. The Nittany Lions are coming off their first season sweep of No. 22 Ohio State since 1998 with a 65-63 win Thursday.
AT A GLANCE
- Thursday vs. Ohio State was senior night for all-time assists leader Tim Frazier and walk-on Zach Cooper, allowing Sunday to focus on the team’s Alumni Day and Team Ream Day. TEAMREAM.org
- Tim Fazier is one of 10 finalists for the Senior CLASS Award, given annually to one student-athlete with notable achievements in four areas of excellence - community, classroom, character and competition. VOTE: bit.ly/Vote4Frazier
- The Lions are playing their third Top 25-ranked foe in a span of four games. They are 2-4 vs. ranked teams this season with the two victories coming over Ohio State.
- At 14-14 and 5-10 in the Big Ten, the Nittany Lions have the most overall and conference wins under a Patrick Chambers-led team at Penn State (12-20, 4-14 in 2011-12).
- Penn State has had six one-possession games in Big Ten play, the most of any conference team. The Lions are 3-3 in those games, winning each of the last three. The Lions have had eight games decided by five or fewer points.
- D.J. Newbill needs three points to become Penn State’s 31st 1,000-point scorer and seven points to reach 500 for the second-consecutive season, joining three previous Nittany Lion players.
- Newbill has the most total points (497) and field goals (168) of any Big Ten player this season. His 10 FGs vs. Iowa are the second-most in a conference game.
- Tim Frazier needs just two rebounds to become the second Big Ten player in league history to reach 1,000 points (1,482), 600 assists (619) and 500 rebounds (498) ... He will join Iowa’s Jeff Horner (2003-06).
- Penn State’s all-time leader in career assists, Frazier now owns three of the Top 10 spots in PSU’s season assists charts. He also is No. 9 all-time in the Big Ten and has the fifth-most assists of any active NCAA player.
Sunday is Team Ream Day, in memory of Brandon Ream, a former Penn State punter, avid PSU basketball supports and beloved student-athlete from Centre County, who passed away in November at the age of 29 after a two-year battle with cancer. The Team Ream Foundation, formed in Brandon’s memory, helps ﬁnancially-disadvantaged individuals in State College and surrounding areas who have been affected by serious medical and other conditions.
Current and former PSU football and volleyball players and gymnasts, as well as action sports stars and Olympian Shawn Johnson will take part in the day’s events, which include a postgame BMX demonstration. Ream was a vice president at Camp Woodward, an action sports training camp founded by his father Gary. MORE: teamream.org
LIMITED BAG POLICY
Penn State has implemented a limited bag policy at all home athletic events this season. One clear plastic one-gallon plastic bag per person will be permitted for medical needs, child care needs and general items as needed. Items that can fit in a pocket should remain in patrons' pockets (i.e. keys, cell phone, wallet, glasses, camera, sunscreen, lip balm, make-up). General items of this nature, including those that don't fit in patrons' pocket, can also be placed in a clear plastic one-gallon plastic bag. All clear bags will be inspected through the bag and article check stations as in prior years.
VS. RANKED TEAMS
Penn State is ...2-4 against teams ranked in the Top 25 this season ... 3-6 all-time vs. teams ranked No. 14 in the AP Top 25 ... Patrick Chambers has four wins vs. Top 25 teams in his PSU tenure ... The Lions have seven games vs. five opponents ranked in the current edition of the Top 25, including two of their final four regular-season games.
SCOUTING THE BADGERS
The 14th-ranked Badgers have won each of their last six games since falling to Ohio State Feb. 1, and have the longest active winning streak in the Big Ten. They started the season 16-0 and now sit at 23-5 with the fifth-highest RPI in the nation. Wisconsin has seven wins over the current AP Top 25, the most wins vs. ranked opponents of any team.
Wisconsin is averaging 73.4 ppg, the fourth-highest mark in the Big Ten, and is led by Sam Dekker with 13.6 ppg. In the the Badgers’ last four games, Frank Kaminsky is averaging 18.3 ppg and 8.3 rpg, including 25 points and 11 boards in loss at Michigan.
D.J. Newbill is the leading scorer in the series with Wisconsin, averaging 17 ppg in two meetings last season. Ross Travis had a combined 22 rebounds in two games last season, including 18 off the defensive glass.
The game Sunday vs. Wisconsin marks the 41st all-time meeting between the programs with the Badgers owning a 30-10 advantage in the all-time series and a 12-7 mark in University Park.
It is the lone meeting between the two teams this season, who have had the last four meetings in the Bryce Jordan Center decided by an average of 4.3 points.
Penn State’s last win over the Badgers came in the 2011 Big Ten Tournament en route to the tourney championship game, a 36-33 decision.
WISCONSIN VS. PENN STATE - LAST MEETING
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. (March 10, 2013) - In a game that saw 18 lead changes, Traevon Jackson’s buzzer beating three staved off Penn State’s bid for a Top 25 upset for the second straight week and secured a 63-60 win for No. 22 Wisconsin. Jermaine Marshall led Penn State with 23 points and D.J. Newbill posted 22 to spearhead the Penn State effort.
Wisconsin also shot 43 percent (22-of-51) from the field and was 33 percent (7-of-21) from three-point range, including a 3-for-3 effort from Jackson who scored 13 of his team-high 15 points in the second half. Sam Dekker added 14 and Jared Berggren a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds to lead the Badgers who shot 50 percent in the second half to pull out the win.
OTHER NOTABALE GAMES
March 11, 2011 (PSU, 36-33): The Lions earned their fourth win over a Top 25 team with a defensive exhibition in the Big Ten tournament quarterfinals, en route to their appearance in the finals. Talor Battle led Penn State with a whopping nine points as the teams shot a combined 31 percent (28-90).
Jan. 31, 2012 (WIS, 52-46): Tim Frazier had 21 points, including 17 of the team’s 23 second-half points to keep Penn State within two with 3:36 to play. Jordan Taylor had 18 points for Wisconsin and hit 6-8 free throws in the final minute to seal the win.
Jan. 26, 1995 (PSU, 78-67): The highest combined point total (145) in the 40-game series came in fifth all-time meeting. It was Penn State’s first of just two series wins in Madison.
LAST TIME OUT
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. (Feb. 27, 2014) - Junior D.J. Newbill posted 23 points and fifth-senior Tim Frazier notched 16 points as the Penn State basketball team upset No. 22 Ohio State for the second time in 2014 on Thursday’s Senior Night at the Bryce Jordan Center.
The win marks the Nittany Lions’ first season sweep over OSU since the 1997-98 campaign and moves PSU to 2-3 vs. ranked teams this season.
Ross Travis and Geno Thorpe also turned in notable performances for the Nittany Lions (14-14, 5-10 Big Ten). Travis pulled down a game-high eight rebounds while adding four points and Thorpe recorded a season-high nine points while tacking on three boards.
The Nittany Lions close out the 2013-14 regular season with back-to-back road games at Northwestern and Minnesota, Thursday and Sunday of next week.
It is the lone meeting of the season with the Wildcats at 7 p.m. Thursday in Evanston on ESPNU. The Lions have won seven of the last 10 meetings in the series, including the last one - a 66-59 decision March 7, 2013 at Welsh-Ryan Arena.
Penn State will look to avenge its 68-65 loss to the Golden Gophers from Jan. 8 at the Bryce Jordan Center. It was the first of three one-possession losses in Big Ten play. The teams have split the last four meetings, 2-2, with Minnesota holding an all-time 30-10 advantage.
- Top Videos
Penn State Basketball, Centre County Form Summer Youth League
Former Nittany Lion Cumberland Posey Elected to Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame
Penn State Basketball Statement from Coach Patrick Chambers
Penn State Falls to Ohio State in Big Ten Tournament
FEATURE: Nittany Lions' Valiant Effort Comes Up Short at Big Ten Tournament
Nittany Lions & Buckeyes Meet in B1G Tourney Thursday
Men's Hoops Big Ten Tourney Central - Lions Open Tourney vs. Buckeyes
Brandon Taylor Earns All-Big Ten Honors