|Follow PSU Men's Basketball:||Follow @PennStateMBB|
Jan. 31, 2014
|PENN STATE (11-10, 2-6 B1G) vs. PURDUE (13-8, 3-5 B1G)
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - The Penn State men's basketball team looks to win three Big Ten games in a row for the first time since 2008-09 when it won four as the Nittany Lions host Purdue at 11:30 a.m. Sunday in the Bryce Jordan Center. The Lions and Boilermakers met just 15 days ago in West Lafayette, Ind., with the game ending a one-point decision for Purdue, 65-64.
Fans will be given a commemorative poster to get players to sign during a postgame autograph session following Penn State's game against Purdue Sunday. The poster is a dunk progression featuring all 15 members of the 2013-14 Nittany Lion team.
THON HOOPS DAY
- There are more than 70 families coming to participate in THON Hoops activities. These families are either undergoing or have undergone pediatric cancer treatment.
- Pre-game activities include carnival games and interactions with Penn State athletes.
- THON has been working annually with Penn State Basketball to plan the event for the last nine years.
All Dad's can bring their sons or daughters to the game, with each receiving free admission. Dad's can purchase tickets for just $10 each
LIMITED BAG POLICY
Penn State has implemented a limited bag policy at all home athletic events this season. One clear plastic one-gallon plastic bag per person will be permitted for medical needs, child care needs and general items as needed. Items that can fit in a pocket should remain in patrons' pockets (i.e. keys, cell phone, wallet, glasses, camera, sunscreen, lip balm, make-up). General items of this nature, including those that don't fit in patrons' pocket, can also be placed in a clear plastic one-gallon plastic bag. All clear bags will be inspected through the bag and article check stations as in prior years.
AT A GLANCE
- Five of Penn State's last six games have been decided by a combined 12 points (average of 2.4). The Lions are 2-4 on the season in games decided by five or fewer points, with the wins coming in the last two games.
- Penn State knocked off No. 24 Ohio State, 71-70, in overtime Wednesday night at Value City Arena in Columbus, Ohio. The win snapped an 18-game losing streak against the Buckeyes and was the program's first Top 25 road win since Feb. 2009.
- In the last five Big Ten games, D.J. Newbill is averaging 19.8 points per game with 6.4 rebounds. The junior guard had a season-high tying 25 points in the win over Ohio State Wednesday, including the game-tying and game-winning buckets.
- Tim Frazier needs just seven assists to take over the all-time career record at Penn State currently held by Freddie Barnes (600; 1989-92)
- Donovon Jack and Jordan Dickerson have combined for 17 blocks in the last five games. Jack is fifth in the Big Ten with 2.0 per game, while Dickerson had a career-high five in the OSU game alone.
- Penn State is 3-2 all-time when playing on Super Bowl Sunday, 1-2 while a member of the Big Ten conference.
SCOUTING THE BOILERMAKERS
Purdue has lost each of its last three games since defeating Penn State, 65-64, Jan. 18 in West Lafayette, Ind. The Boilermakers are 13-8 on the season and 3-5 in the Big Ten after falling to No. 10 Michigan 75-66 Thursday night in Ann Arbor.
A.J. Hammons had 16 points and eight rebounds in the loss. He is averaging 13.1 ppg in Big Ten play, leading the team, and has been putting up 10.1 ppg on the season overall.
After 21 games, Terone Johnson tops the squad with 12.9 ppg and 4.0 rpg. Ronnie Johnson (10.6 ppg, 3.6 apg) and Hammons are all averaging double-figures for the Boilermakers.
D.J. Newbill is the leading scorer in the series with Ohio State, tallying 14.3 ppg in three meetings. In seven career matchups, Tim Frazier puts up 10.3 ppg with a series-best 24 points in Feb. 29, 2012 at Mackey Arena.
Purdue holds a 30-11 advantage in the all-time series with the Lions, though just an 11-9 margin in games played in University Park. The last PSU win was a 65-45 victory Jan. 5, 2011 at the Jordan Center.
PURDUE VS. PENN STATE - Round One
Tim Frazier had 19 points and 10 rebounds, but Penn State lost a tight contest to Purdue 65-64 on Jan. 18 in West Lafayette. Terone Johnson had 14 points and five rebounds, and Kendall Stephens and Basil Smotherman each scored 12 points for the Boilermakers (13-5, 3-2 Big Ten).
D.J. Newbill added 17 points and 10 rebounds for the Nittany Lions (9-10, 0-6), who have lost six straight, all in league play.
Terone Johnson scored a 3-pointer with 7 seconds remaining to tie the game at 64 and Ronnie Johnson broke up Penn State's inbounds pass before A.J. Hammons scored a free throw with a second remaining to capture the win.
LAST TIME OUT
D.J. Newbill hit a pull-up jumper over Aaron Craft with two seconds left in overtime, lifting Penn State to a 71-70 victory over No. 24 Ohio State Wednesday night at Value City Arena in Columbus, Ohio, and ending years of futility against the Buckeyes.
Newbill, who led the Nittany Lions (11-10, 2-6 Big Ten) with 25 points, also hit a 3 that forced the extra session.
Ohio State (16-5, 3-5) has lost five of six after a 15-0 start which saw it rise to No. 3 in the polls.
Brandon Taylor added 19 points and Graham Woodward had 11 as Penn State ended Ohio State's string of victories in the series at 18. Buckeyes coach Thad Matta was 17-0 against Penn State since taking over as head coach in 2004-05.
The Nittany Lions will travel to East Lansing, Mich., for a 9 p.m. Thursday meeting with No. 7 Michigan State at the Breslin Center on ESPN2.
The seventh-ranked Spartans are 19-2 on the season and 8-1 in the BIg Ten after falling to No. 10 Michigan, 80-75, Jan. 25. They have a non-conference game vs. Georgetown set for Saturday at Madison Square Garden before returning home to prepare for the Buckeyes.
This is Penn State's first game of the season scheduled for air on ESPN or ESPN2 after three ESPNU appearances and two ESPN3 showings during non-conference play.
- Top Videos
Terrence Samuel Joins Nittany Lions
Penn State Among Las Vegas Classic Teams
Newbill Chasing NBA Dream One Workout at a Time
Chambers Announces Roster Change
VIDEO: Tim Frazier Talks Year One in the NBA
CvC Golf Tournament Helping Lead the Fight with a Positive Attitude
VIDEO: Patrick Chambers Press Conference at CVC Golf Tournament
Chambers, Program Prepare to Tee Off on 19th Annual CvC Golf Tournament