|Follow PSU Men's Basketball:||Follow @PennStateMBB|
Jan. 28, 2014
|PENN STATE (10-10, 1-6 B1G) at No. 24 OHIO STATE (16-4, 3-4 B1G)
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - The Penn State men's basketball team looks to earn back-to-back wins as it takes on No. 24 Ohio State at 7 p.m. Wednesday in Value City Arena in Columbus, Ohio. The Nittany Lions are coming off their first Big Ten win of the year, a 58-54 decision over Nebraska last Thursday, while the Buckeyes snapped a four-game losing streak with a 62-55 victory over Illinois the same night. Because both teams were off this weekend, the game will be a part of the Coaches vs. Cancer Suits and Sneakers Awareness Weekend with the coaching staffs wearing sneakers with their game attire as a visible reminder about the importance of nutrition and physical activity in reducing one's cancer risk.
PENN STATE SCOOP (TEAM)
- Penn State has three players scoring in double figures after 20 games with the team averaging 75.2 points per game, the sixth-highest average among Big Ten teams and the highest clip since the 2000-01 Lions.
- Four of the last five games have been decided by a combined 11 pts.
- Penn State committed just five turnovers in its win over Nebraska ... The Lions have the third-fewest turnovers in the Big Ten ... Points off turnovers were 22-1 vs. the Huskers
- The starting five accounts for 81 percent (1,221 of 1,504) of Penn State's total points on the season.
- The Lions are out-scoring opponents 739-652 in the opening period. They average 37.0 points in the first half with a +4.4 scoring margin.
- With John Johnson's team-leading 20 points vs. Mount St. Mary's Dec. 22, seven different PSU players have led the team or tied for the lead in scoring through the first 20 games of the year: Tim Frazier (9 games), D.J. Newbill (6 games), Brandon Taylor (2 games), Johnson (2 games), Donovon Jack, Ross Travis and Allen Roberts (1 game).
- As a team, the Lions are shooting 74 percent from the free-throw line, the third-best showing among Big Ten teams ... Five PSU players are shooting 70 percent or better from the charity stripe, led by Brandon Taylor's 87 percent showing (33-38), among players with at least 30 attempts.
- Three Penn State players have combined for 10 double-doubles so far this season, tied for the third most among B1G schools. Penn State is 14-7 over the last four seasons when one of the current players secures a double-double and 9-1 when Tim Frazier completes the task.
NITTANY LION NUGGETS (Players)
- D.J. Newbill (17.2 ppg) and Tim Frazier (16.5 ppg) are ranked fifth and seventh, respectively, in the Big Ten and make up one of the highest scoring, rebounding and assisting backcourt duos in the nation.
- Frazier will start in his 100th career game vs. the Buckeyes ... He is the 14th Nittany Lion to start in at least 100 games (from available records).
- Frazier is one of three players in the country averaging at least 16 points (16.5) and 6 assists (6.4) and the only from a major conference.
- With six assists at Michigan Jan. 14, Frazier took over the No. 2 place in career assists at Penn State and now has 587 ... He needs just 14 more for the all-time record held by Freddie Barnes (600; 1989-92).
- Frazier has the 10th-most assists of any NCAA Division I player (128) as of Monday and is 12th in the country in assists per game (6.4) ... Only B1G player in the Top 10 of scoring (16.5, 7th), assists (6.4, 1st) and steals (1.8, 6th).
- Frazier accounts for nearly 46 percent of the team's total offense, either through assists or scored field goals. Of the team's 513 total field goals, the graduate guard has scored 107 of them and assisted on 128 more.
- Newbill passed 1,000 career points at Duquesne (1,141), including 293 scored at Southern Mississippi ... He needs 152 more points to enter the PSU records books.
- Of Newbill's 17.2 ppg, 13.4 of them are scored from the field ... He has the second-most made FGs of anyone in the Big Ten.
- Donovon Jack has tallied 33 of his team-leading 41 blocks in the last 11 games and went eight-consecutive games with multiple blocks to lead the team and stand in fourth in the B1G with 2.1 bpg.
- Jack is the lone starter scoring at higher clip in Big Ten play vs. the season overall (7.9 vs. 7.5 ppg)
- Brandon Taylor is hitting 87 percent of his free throws (33-38) with 19-consecutive makes heading into the Nebraska game when he went 2-4 ... The consecutive makes make up the longest streak by a PSU player this season.
Penn State opens February action Sunday vs. Purdue at 11:30 a.m. in the Bryce Jordan Center and on BTN. It will be THON Hoops Day as the Lions welcome Four Diamonds families to the BJC for a day of fun. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster, by calling 1-800-NITTANY or visiting the Jordan Center box office.
SCOUTING THE BUCKEYES
Ohio State enters the game Wednesday with a 16-4 overall record and 3-4 mark in the Big Ten. All four of the Buckeyes' losses have come within the last five games, including one on their home court to Iowa.
LaQuinton Ross leads Ohio State with 14.1 ppg on the season and 16.3 ppg in Big Ten games only. He is the only player scoring at a higher clip in conference play and has three games with 20+ points in B1G play. Amir Williams is the leading rebounder with 6.6 per game and Aaron Craft leads the team with 4.9 apg, trailing Tim Frazier by 1.5 helpers per game for second in the conference.
VS. THE BUCKEYES
D.J. Newbill is the leading scorer in the series with Ohio State, tallying 15 points in the lone meeting last season. In six career matchups, Tim Frazier puts up 7.5 ppg with a series-best 16 points in the 2011-12 meeting.
Ohio State leads the all-time series 32-13, including wins in each of the last 17 meetings and a 17-4 advantage when playing in Columbus. The Nittany Lions' last win in the series came in 2004, a 64-47 decision Jan. 10 in the Bryce Jordan Center. They last came out on the Buckeyes' home court Feb. 28, 1998 with an 85-85 overtime win. Last season, Ohio State took a 65-51 win Jan. 26, 2013, in the Jordan Center.
THREE NOTABALE GAMES
March 13, 2011: Making its first appearance in the Big Ten tournament championship, Penn State fell to No. 1 Ohio State, 71-60. Penn State's Talor Battle earned all-tourney honors after scoring 71 points over four games and playing all 160 minutes for the Nittany Lions. Battle went 9-for-20 vs. the Buckeyes, tallying a game-high 24 points and adding five rebounds. The Lions went on to earn a No. 10 seed in the NCAA tourney.
Feb. 27, 1999: Joe Crispin turned in arguably the most explosive :50 seconds of basketball in PSU history by scoring eight unanswered points to start overtime as Penn State downed No. 10 and evenutal Final Four team Ohio State 98-95. Crispin ended the game with 29 points.
Feb. 28, 1998: The Lions completed the season sweep of Ohio State with an 89-85 overtime win at St. John Arena in what stands as Penn State's last win in Columbus and the final game in the Buckeyes' old arena. Michael Redd had 32 for Ohio State, but Pete Lisicky had 24 points to pace the Lions in a comeback win.
VS. RANKED TEAMS
Penn State is 0-1 against teams ranked in the AP Top 25 at the time of meeting this season after falling to Michigan State Dec. 31 ... Six of Penn State's opponents (Michigan State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Pittsburgh and Ohio State) are in the current edition of the Top 25 ... Penn State is 2-17 vs. ranked foes under Patrick Chambers ... The Lions are 0-5 all-time against teams ranked No. 24 in the AP poll.
LIONS' LAST TIME OUT
Led by D.J. Newbill's 16 points, four Penn State players posted double-figure scoring efforts as the men's basketball team snapped a six-game losing streak with a 58-54 win over Nebraska at the Bryce Jordan Center. The victory marks the Nittany Lions' first Big Ten win of the 2013-14 campaign.Newbill led all scorers with 16 points and also added four rebounds and two steals. John Johnson tallied 13 points, while Brandon Taylor and Tim Frazier netted 11 points apiece.
- Top Videos
Penn State Basketball, Centre County Form Summer Youth League
Former Nittany Lion Cumberland Posey Elected to Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame
Penn State Basketball Statement from Coach Patrick Chambers
Penn State Falls to Ohio State in Big Ten Tournament
FEATURE: Nittany Lions' Valiant Effort Comes Up Short at Big Ten Tournament
Nittany Lions & Buckeyes Meet in B1G Tourney Thursday
Men's Hoops Big Ten Tourney Central - Lions Open Tourney vs. Buckeyes
Brandon Taylor Earns All-Big Ten Honors