|Follow PSU Men's Basketball:||Follow @PennStateMBB|
Feb. 6, 2014
No. 9 Michigan State 82, Penn State 67
February 6, 2014
Breslin Center (East Lansing, Mich.)
- Penn State is 1-2 against teams ranked in the Top 25 this season at the time of meeting (L, Michigan State 12/31 & 2/6 and W, Ohio State 1/29).
- The loss ended a three-game Big Ten winning steak for Penn State, the longest in conference play for the Lions since 2009.
- Two PSU players finished in double-digits (Tim Frazier – 22, D.J. Newbill – 17). The Lions are 1-6 when just two players tally 10 or more points.
- Penn State fell in the all-time series with Michigan State 7-33 with a 1-19 mark in East Lansing. The lone road win in the series came Feb. 1, 2009, a 72-68 comeback win in the Breslin Center.
- Chambers now is 76-80 in his fifth season as a head coach and 34-52 in his third season at Penn State.
- With one assist, Frazier tied the all-time career record at Penn State also held by Freddie Barnes (600; 1989-92). He also owns two positions in the Top 10 in single-season assists and now is No. 10 all-time in Big Ten history with 600. He needs 13 more to pass Jeff Horner (612; Iowa, 2002-06).
- With 22 points, Frazier led the team in scoring for the 10th time this season. He now has 1,411 points, moving closer to the No. 8 spot all-time at Penn State held by Tom Hovasse (1,459; 1986-89).
- Frazier finished 9-14 from the field, for a 64 percent showing, his sixth outing of the season above 60 percent.
- Frazier tallied three 3-pointers, his fourth game this season with multiple treys.
- The 22 points mark Frazier’s seventh 20-plus point outing of the season and 13th for his career. They mark the most for the fifth-year guard since he had 24 in the overtime loss to to Princeton Dec. 14.
- Newbill posted 17 points, his 21st double-digit scoring effort of the season (all but two games).
- He was 7-8 from the free-throw line, topping his season average of 73 percent with an 88 percent showing.
- Top Videos
Former Nittany Lion Cumberland Posey Elected to Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame
Penn State Basketball Statement from Coach Patrick Chambers
Penn State Falls to Ohio State in Big Ten Tournament
FEATURE: Nittany Lions' Valiant Effort Comes Up Short at Big Ten Tournament
Nittany Lions & Buckeyes Meet in B1G Tourney Thursday
Men's Hoops Big Ten Tourney Central - Lions Open Tourney vs. Buckeyes
Brandon Taylor Earns All-Big Ten Honors
Nittany Lions Take on Ohio State in Big Ten Tournament Opener