|Follow PSU Men's Basketball:||Follow @PennStateMBB|
Sophomore Tony Carr earned his first Big Ten Player of the Week honor after averaging 24.5 points, 5.0 rebounds, and 4.0 assists.
Nittany Lions Battle to End, But Rally Falls Short
Penn State vs. Michigan
Penn State vs. Purdue (USATSI) Men's Basketball
Penn State vs Ohio State
Penn State vs. Illinois (USATSI) Men's Basketball
Penn State vs.Maryland (USATSI) Men's Basketball
• Named to the Big Ten All-Freshman team, the fourth Nittany Lion to be so honored
• Started all 33 games en route to honorable mention All-Big Ten
• Team leader in multiple categories in initial season, including points scored (436), points per game average (13.2), assists (139), field goals attempted (374), free throws made (121) and attempted (157), minutes played (1,084) and minutes per game average (32.8).
• Made Penn State history as
• Scored in double figures 26 times, most ever by a Penn State freshman, and led the team in scoring eight times
• Had two double-doubles on the season, an 11-point, 10-rebound performance against Morgan State (12/21) in final nonconference game and 14 assists against the Hoosiers (2/1), were paired with 23 points for second
• Opened his rookie campaign with seven-straight games with 10 or more points, including 20 points against Duquesne and Duke
• Dished out 14 assists at Indiana (3ot) for the highest single-game assist total in the Big Ten in 2016-17
• Broke the Nittany Lion freshman assist record previously held by Ben Luber (114, 2003-04) with 139
• Also set freshman record for field goal attempts, previously 307 (Talor Battle, 2007-08), with 374 in 2016-17
• Led team in rebounding 7 times and had two games with 10 rebounds or more (Wright State, 12; Morgan State 10) • Scored season-high 24 points vs. Indiana in BJC with six field goals, including two three-pointers, and a then-career-best 10 points from the free throw line
• Hit nine baskets vs. Purdue for first of three Big Ten games with 20-plus point totals at end of February (Purdue, 21; at Minnesota, 21; Ohio State, 21)
• Recorded longest streak of double-figure games with 10 in the heart of Big Ten play.
• Combined own 23 points with Lamar Stevens' 26 in scoring tandem vs. the Hoosiers in Assembly Hall, marking the second time during the season the two freshmen each registered 20 or more points in a game
• Scored 20 points vs. Duquesne and Lamar Stevens' 24 points as the first time two Nittany Lions scored 20 or more points in a game since Shep Garner (22) and Brandon Taylor (21) did so vs. Illinois (3/6/16). Prior to the Nov. 13 contest, the last two freshmen with 20-plus points in the same game was March 15, 1989, when Freddie Barnes (24) and Monroe Brown (32) accomplished the feat vs. Murray State in the opening round of the NIT
• Was a perfect 17-17 from the line over six games to start his Penn State career and finished nonconference portion of season with free throw percentage of 88.4
• Selected as one of the top 20 college players in America and joined NBA legends for the Nike Elite Basketball Camp in Los Angeles in August 2017 following the team's trip to the Bahamas
PRIOR TO PENN STATE
Ranked No. 50 in 2016 ESPN Top 100 recruits...ESPN four-star recruit...ESPN top-rated player from Pennsylvania...Named the 2016 Pennsylvania Player of the Year by USA Today and by PA Sports Writers in 2015 and 2016...Earned first-team All-Pennsylvania (
Born Anthony Gregory Carr on Oct. 11, 1997...Son of Anthony and Nicole Carr...