|Follow PSU Men's Basketball:||Follow @PennStateMBB|
Nittany Lions Recognized for Accomplishments, Attributes After Record-Breaking Campaign
Nittany Lions Defeat Utah 82-66 for Championship; Record 26 Wins for Second-Most in Program History
Penn State men's basketball sinks Mississippi State, 75-60, in the NIT Semifinal
Photos from Penn State vs. Mississippi State - NIT Semi-Final, Tuesday, March 27, 2018
Penn State takes down Notre Dame, 73-63, in the NIT Second Round
Penn State tops Northwestern in the second round of the Big Ten Tournament, 65-57
Penn State vs. Purdue - 2018 Big Ten Tournament Semifinals: Photos by USA Today Sports Images
Penn State vs. Ohio State - 2018 Big Ten Tournament Quarterfinals: Photos by USA Today Sports Images
• Posted best field goal percentages of his career at 43.3 (3-point) and 44.4 (overall) in 2017-18.
• Drilled six 3-pointers for 18 points vs. Mississippi State in NIT semifinals.
• Fifth triple vs. Mississippi State gave him the Penn State career record for 3-point field goals (333), now 336, following addition of two more 3-point field goals in Utah contest.
• His 336 career total 3-point field goals made is second on the Big Ten career list in that category. At the end of the season, that total was fifth on the NCAA Division I active career leaders list.
• 2017-18 total of 120 3-point field goals made stands as Big Ten and Penn State single-season record.
• Eclipsed the 1,600-point mark and finished his tenure with 1,629 points for fifth on the Penn State career scoring list.
• Played 4,443 minutes in 138 career games, second on Penn State's career list behind only Big Ten leader and Nittany Lion Talor Battle. Tied with two of his 2017-18 teammates for most games played and started in a single season with 39.
• Recorded 80th career game scoring 10 or more points with 19 at Marquette, including five 3-pointers to become Penn State's single-season record holder with 112 at the time.
• Connected on four 3-pointers and added a layup for 15 points at Notre Dame.
• Hit his first field goal, a trey, vs. Temple with 2:43 remaining to tie
• Scored career-high 33 points, setting the Penn State record for most points in a single Big Ten tournament game, and matching his uniform number, on 3/3 vs. Purdue in semifinals of the Big Ten Tournament He went 8-11 from the field and 6-8 from behind the arc with 18 points in the second half.
• Scored 12 and 13 points, respectively, vs. Northwestern and Ohio State in second round and quarterfinal games.
• Now at top of Penn State list for career scoring in Big Ten Tournament games with 135 points.
• Went 6-9 with five treys for 17 points at Purdue for
• Top scorer at Illinois with 16 points, (10 in first half) and contributed four assists to team total 20.
• Recorded back-to-back double-figure scoring games as top scorer at Northwestern (22) and with 14 at Ohio State.
• Connected on Big Ten career-best six 3-pointers at Northwestern.
• Had game-high 18 points, all on 3-point field goals, vs. Rider.
• Had three 3-pointers and three assists at George Mason in 37 minutes despite not feeling well.
• Dropped three of his four total triples in the first half vs. George Washington.
• Sparked Nittany Lion comeback vs. Badgers with back-to-back jumpers and triple to pull within three at 1:53. Had 12 points in the second half.
• Hit four 3-pointers in Iowa victory for 12 points. Two 3-pointers in first half helped give Nittany Lions a 14-4 lead to start the game.
• Scored 10 points off four field goals, including two 3-pointers at N.C. State.
• One of six Nittany Lions to score in double figures vs. Pittsburgh. Had 13 points in Legends Classic game at Barclays Center off 5-10 shooting with three treys.
• Suffered a broken nose vs. Montana game and wore a protective mask for Columbia game. Had 16 points in 16 minutes by halftime and added 10 more for a game-high 26 on a career-best tying 10 field goals made.
• Connected on four 3-pointers against Montana for 12 points. Also had three assists.
AS A JUNIOR (2016-17)
• Reached the 1,000-point milestone with a jumper in the first half of the Michigan State win in front of a hometown crowd at the Palestra (1/7)
• Stands 21st on the all-time scoring list with 1,083 career points
• Played in all 33 games and started 29 contests in his junior season
• Has led Penn State in scoring 19 times in his career and is tied for second on the team with 21 games with double-figure scoring in 2016-17 with 59 career games with 10 points or more
• Added five 20-plus point scoring games to his resume in 2016-17 for 15 career total
• Led team in three-point field goals with 82, a total that ranks 10th on the Penn State single-season list
• Stands ninth on the Penn State chart for three-point field goals attempted with 230 in 2016-17
• Ranks fourth on the Nittany Lion career list with three-point field goals made with 216 and is fifth with 610 career three-point field goal attempts
• Had team second-best total of 41 steals in junior campaign
• Finished the year with 79 assists, good for second on the team and led the Nittany Lions in assists six times in 2016-17
• Opened 2016-17 with a season-best 25 points vs. Albany (11/11) scoring 23 of his 25 points in the second half, and 17 of the final 19 for the Nittany Lions
• Made seven baskets, including a
• Nailed team-high six three-pointers and added another basket for a 21-point outing in win over St. John's in Madison Square Garden
• Also had three assists and season-high four steals against the Red Storm
• Tied season-high six three-pointers made vs. Rutgers and had nine made total baskets against Scarlet Knights (24 points) in BJC
• Made five three-pointers and had seven baskets overall with a free throw for 20 points vs. Ohio State
• Pulled down season-best eight rebounds at Minnesota (2/25) and tied season-best with four steals
• Played most minutes of any Nittany Lion in a game in 2016-17 with 50 minutes in triple-overtime game at Indiana
AS A SOPHOMORE (2015-16)
• Had started all but one career game as a Nittany Lion (senior day in 2014-15), including all 32 games in 2015-16
• Finished second on team in points (14.8) and led in steals (1.3) and assists (3.4)
• Wrapped up regular season in Top 15 in Big Ten in six categories: minutes played (35.1; 6th), 3-pointers made (2.3; 9th), assists (3.4; 13th), free-throw percentage (77.6; 13th) and scoring (14.5, 15th)
• Had 3.8 assists per game in 18 league contests after averaging 6.5 over last two games of the regular season; Had 13 assists with six turnovers in games vs. Northwestern (3/3) and Illinois (3/6)
• Averaged 5.0 assists over final five games of the year with a turnover ratio of 2.08 in that span ... season assist to turnover ratio was 1.68, raising steadily throughout the season
• Produced at least 20 points five of the final six games; averaged 20.7 points per game with nearly four 3-pointers per game in the six-game stretch
• Had 10 20-plus point games on the season, after producing a team-high 25 in the Big Ten Tournament vs. Ohio State
• Scored in double-digits 22 times and led
• Shot 78 percent from the free-throw line with nine outings at 100 percent, the last one coming in the Big Ten tourney with a 4-4 showing
• Had 25 points against Ohio State (3/10), a total that is tied for fourth most all-time by a PSU player in the Big Ten Tournament
• Tallied team-high 22 points in
• Tied Big Ten career high with five treys against Nebraska (2/25) and Rutgers (2/20), finishing with 22 and 20 points, respectively
• Drained four 3-pointers and ended win over Iowa (2/17) with 18 points, 14 of which came in first half • Grabbed career-high tying six rebounds for
• Had Big Ten career-high 22 points against Michigan in MSG (1/30), hitting five 3-pointers, while also grabbing career-high tying 6 rebounds ... Fifth 20-plus point outing of the season
• Scored 20 points vs. Minnesota (1/5), including 16 in
• Had six assists vs. Gophers, marking a then Big Ten-high and a career-high for assists with zero turnovers
• Averaged 23.3 points per game in wins over Boston College (12/2) and Eastern Michigan (12/5) with a 30-point performance vs. BC and 16 against EMU
• Produced eight 3-pointers against Boston College (12/2), one shy of Pete Lisicky's record nine vs. Penn in 1996. The effort tied the Conte Forum record, set previously by two players
AS A FRESHMAN (2014-15)
• Started 33 of 34 games, averaging 9.2 points, 2.7 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game ... Lone game off
• Finished second on
• Hit at least one 3-pointer in all but four games this season and multiple treys in 16 games ... Finished second on
• Had career-high five treys vs. Nebraska in Big Ten tourney (3/11/15), tied for most by a PSU player on the season
• Averaged 10.0 ppg over three Big Ten Tournament games after then-career-high 19-point outing vs. Nebraska (3/11/15) and 10.7 ppg over last seven games of the season
• In final 11 games of 2014-15, had 24 assists with seven turnovers for
• In Big Ten regular-season games, scored 9.6 ppg in nine road contests, compared to 7.9 ppg in nine home games
• Shot 79 percent (46-58) from FT line ... Was 7-8 in B1G Tourney action
• Career-high 19 points vs. Huskers (3/11/15) came on 63 percent shooting 63 from behind
• Recorded a
• Had a career-high five assists, with one turnover, in win over Nebraska (2/7/15) ... All nine points came off treys vs. Huskers
• Scored 14 points for the fourth time this season at Illinois (1/31/15)
• Shot 75 percent from 3-range vs. Rutgers (1/24/15), hitting three to finish with 13 points and four assists
• Shared the team lead for the first time with 14 points at Indiana (1/13/15)
• Had 11 points in first career Big Ten game at Wisconsin (12/31/14)
• Returned to double figures vs. Virginia Tech (12/3), going 4-4 from the FT line and hitting at least four FGs for the fifth time this season
• Limited to five points vs. Akron (11/25/14), but posted early career highs in rebounds (3), assists (3), steals (2)
• Hit four-consecutive 3-point field goals in the first half vs. USC (11/23), ending
• Hit all seven FT attempts in
• Scored 14 points in the season opener vs. Morgan State (11/14), shooting 67 percent
• Became the first freshman to start in the season opener since Trey Lewis in 2011
PRIOR TO PENN STATE
A three-time All-Catholic, all-state selection at Roman Catholic in Philadelphia...Scored 1,000 points and averaged just under 16 points per outing over his career...Helped lead the Cahillites to the District 12-AAAA title and the state playoffs, finishing with a 19-7 record...Ran the point for both his high school team and Team Final during AAU play...Nike EYBL Finals advanced to the semifinals of the Peach Jam with the help of Garner's 8.7 points, 5.5 assists and four rebounds per game.
Born Dec. 6, 1994...Full name is Shepard Author Garner III...Son of Kim and Shepard Garner II...Has two sisters...Is an English major.