|Follow PSU Men's Basketball:||Follow @PennStateMBB|
Nittany Lions Recognized for Accomplishments, Attributes After Record-Breaking Campaign
Nittany Lions Making 21st Postseason Appearance; Host Owls Wednesday at 8 p.m.
Nittany Lions Face Northwestern Thursday at 6:30 p.m.
Penn State vs. Michigan
Penn State vs Ohio State
Penn State vs. Illinois (USATSI) Men's Basketball
Penn State vs.Maryland (USATSI) Men's Basketball
Penn State vs. Iowa (USATSI) 02-03-2018
AS A REDSHIRT SOPHOMORE (2017-18)
- Did not return to competition after suffering right knee injury early in Michigan game (2/21), missing final nine games.
- Season field goal percentage of 68.5 (146-213) leads Big Ten and is second nationally. Owns No. 5 spot on NCAA D-1 active career list at 63.7.
- Became only the second Penn State sophomore to reach 500 career rebound milestone, now tied with Nittany Lion great Jesse Arnelle for most in first two years with 525.
- Recorded 20th career double-double and 12th of the 2017-18 season with 11 points and 10 rebounds vs. Ohio State.
- Perfect 5-5 from field at Illinois with four rebounds and a steal in limited minutes.
- Went 5-7 from the field vs. Maryland and had career-best three steals to go along with five rebounds.
- Scored 19 points and pulled down 10 boards vs. Iowa (2/3) for 11th double-double of season and 19th career.
- Tied Penn State single-game individual record for field goal percentage and Penn State record for field goal percentage in a Big Ten game with a 9-10 outing (90.0%) vs. Hawkeyes after starting the game 8-8.
- Scored 15 points and had a career-high 19 rebounds vs. Rutgers.
- Scored eight points and grabbed five rebounds in 20 minutes of action at Michigan State. Had key steal of Spartan inbound pass at 0:37 mark of game to set up Tony Carr’s second 3-pointer to trim deficit to six points.
- First Nittany Lion to have five consecutive double-doubles against Big Ten foes since John Amaechi in 1994-95.
- Recorded fifth-straight double-double, ninth of season and 17th of career with 20 points and 11 boards vs. Minnesota.
- Scored 20 points and collected 15 rebounds vs. Nebraska in OT win, 12 points coming in second half.
- Had 10 points (all second half) and game-best 12 rebounds at Indiana.
- Collected game-best 17 rebounds in double-double vs. Northwestern with 18 points. Added four blocks and two steals.
- Recorded double-double with a team-leading 17 points and career-best 17 rebounds at Maryland. Went 8-11 from the field and had two blocks, an assist and steal vs. Terps.
- Had a double-double with Lamar Stevens at George Mason with Watkins’ 14 points and 12 rebounds.
- Had then Big Ten-best 19 points (9-13 FG) and seven rebounds in win at Iowa in a career-high 36 minutes at Iowa.
- Had 14 rebounds at N.C. State for game-high total.
- One of six Nittany Lions to score in double figures vs. Pittsburgh with 13 on a perfect 6-6 from field.
- Recorded first double-double of 2017-18 vs. Columbia with 11 points and 14 rebounds.
- Went 5-5 FG in second half vs. Columbia and Nittany Lions leaned on his 10 points and six blocks (4 in second half).
- Had 15 points off 6-9 FG shooting and with five rebounds and three blocks in outing vs. FDU.
AS A REDSHIRT FRESHMAN (2016-17)
- Named B1G Freshman of the Week twice -- after Penn State wins over St. John's at Madison Square Garden (12/18) and at home over 24th-ranked Minnesota (1/14)
- Made history as
one thirdof the trio of first Nittany Lions with freshman eligibility to start in a season opener and played and started in all 33 games
- Ranked nationally in the top 10 for blocked shots per game (9th -- 2.73) and total blocked shots (10th -- 90)
- Broke the freshman record for double-doubles, (all points and rebounds) with eight
- Recorded two of his double-doubles in the last three games of 2016-17 at Iowa and vs. Nebraska (
ot) in the Big Ten Tournament
- Broke the 65-year-old Penn State freshman record for rebounds with 267
- Led team in rebounding 21 times
withnine games with 10 or more rebounds
- Accounted for nearly half (90) of team's record 182 blocks, a total that stands ninth in Penn State career history
- Watkins' 90 and 2.7 average ranks fifth on the both Penn State's single-season total and blocks average lists
- Pulled down 15 rebounds vs. Pittsburgh, first time a Penn Stater had that number since 2006, then duplicated the total in the win over No. 24 Minnesota
- Set Big Ten Tournament record for blocks in a single game with 8 vs. Nebraska and ranks second all-time for blocks in a single tournament with 10 in 2 games
- Shares the No. 6 spot on Penn State's list for blocks in a game with Calvin Booth (all-time career leader, 1995-99)
Currentlyowns the top mark for career field goal percentage at 59.0 (128-217)
- Had two exceptional field goal percentages with 8-8 outing at Iowa (3/5) and 9-12 (3/8) in the overtime win over Nebraska in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament and the 8-8 performance tied for the best by an individual in the Big Ten
- Had a sizzling 76.9 shooting percentage from floor and averaged 13.7 points per game in three March games
- Also averaged in double-digit scoring in December with 11.0 ppg and with 9.5 rebounds per game that month
- Shot 61.4 percent from the field in Big Ten regular season games
- Scored in double figures 16 times in 2016-17 and had the top points total for the Nittany Lions four times
- Recorded first career double-double in Big Ten/ACC victory over Georgia Tech with 12 points and 12 rebounds
AS A FRESHMAN (2015-16)
- Received redshirt year with four years of eligibility remaining.
PRIOR TO PENN STATE
Played senior season at The Phelps School in 2014-15...Won the 2015 PISAA Championship game against Westtown after overcoming a 16-point third-quarter deficit...Tallied 12 points, eight rebounds and six blocks in the comeback victory...Averaged 14 points, 11
Born August 10,