Ages 3-5: Snowplow Sam 1-4 → Basic 2-6 → Pre-Free Skate → Free Skate 1-6
Pegula Ice Arena offers figure skating classes for all ages and skating abilities. Our programs are part of Learn to Skate USA and sanctioned by USFS. Please see the below progression chart and click on any of the class names for further curriculum details.
Ages 6-14: Basic 1-6 → Pre-Free Skate → Free Skate 1-6
Ages 15+: Adult Beginner to Adult Advanced
Snowplow Sam Classes
Snowplow Sam levels are designed to help the preschool-age skater develop preliminary coordination and strength to maneuver on the ice.
- In Snowplow Sam 1 we focus on sitting, standing, marching on the ice and gliding.
- In Snowplow Sam 2 we focus on gliding, backward wiggles, and beginning snowplow stop.
- In Snowplow Sam 3 we focus on one foot glides, swizzles and stopping on the ice.
- In Snowplow Sam 4 we focus on backward two foot gliding, two-foot turns, and two-foot hops.
Basic Skills Classes
The Basic Skills levels are designed to teach the FUNdamentals of ice skating including forward and backward skating, stops, edges, crossovers, and turns.
- In Basic 1 skaters will learn how to sit and stand up, march, glide, dip, and even go backwards.
- In Basic 2 skaters will focus on gliding, swizzles, and stopping.
- In Basic 3 skaters will focus on blade and balance work.
- In Basic 4 skaters will focus on forward skating edge work.
- In Basic 5 skaters will focus on backward skating edge work and spinning.
- In Basic 6 skaters will focus on movement and change of direction.
Free Skate Classes
The Free Skate levels are designed to give skaters a strong foundation on which to build their skills. This is the point where a skater can choose whether to pursue a recreational or competitive approach to the sport of figure skating.
- In Pre-Free Skate skaters will learn a waltz jump.
- In Free Skate 1 skaters will learn an upright spin from back crossovers.
- In Free Skate 2 skaters will learn a salchow.
- In Free Skate 3 skaters will learn a loop jump.
- In Free Skate 4 skaters will learn forward power three turns.
- In Free Skate 5 skaters will learn a camel spin.
- In Free Skate 6 skaters will learn a creative step sequence and an axel.
For the exact curriculum, please click here. At the end of each 13 week session we evaluate the skaters and give them a report card on what they have done well and things to practice. We also make a recommendation for them to either stay in the current class or move up to the next level. You must have passed the previous level to move on.
Adult Learn to Skate
It's never too late to learn how to skate! The Adult Learn to Skate program is offered to those that have never stepped on the ice before or are looking to finally master those advanced skills. The program is broken down into three levels: beginner, intermediate, and advanced.
For any questions on figure skating programs offered at Pegula Ice Arena, please contact Jess McCormick, Figure Skating Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org or 814-865-4102.