Construction of the new indoor track within the Multi-Sport Facility at University Park began in April of 1998, and was completed in the summer of 1999. The new facility, near the outdoor track on Porter Road, includes a 200-meter track with spectator seating and amenities.
It also has basketball courts, locker rooms, a strength training room and storage, a turf field, and serves both the new indoor and the existing outdoor tracks. Both the men's and women's track teams practice and compete in this facility, which is also accessible to a variety of other college sports.
Quick Facts On The Indoor Track Building
- Hoffman-Popovich of Boalsburg and NBBJ of Columbus, Ohio designed the Multi-Sport Facilty & Horace Ashenfelter III Indoor Track.
- The venue allows the Nittany and Lady Lions to train and compete in a building that is among the most versatile in the nation.
- The building has all the features of a world-class facility, including six 42-inch lanes with hydraulically banked turns and eight 48-inch sprint lanes down the middle.
- The jumpers use dual long/triple jump runways and there are two pole vault runways.
- All running lanes and runways have a polyurethane surface.
- Permanent seating for 800 can be expanded because, at one end of the building, the structure extends beyond the track. This area has an artificial grass surface which allows for the training of field events and serves as an additional spectator seating area during competitions.
- Top Videos
Women's Soccer Hosts Maryland, Indiana
10/07/2015 | @PennStateWSOC
No. 3 Women's Volleyball Travels to Illinois, Northwestern
10/08/2015 | @PennStateVBALL
Women's Hockey Heads to Boston for Weekend Series
10/08/2015 | @PennStateWHKY
Ten Years Later: Remembering an Epic Night in Beaver Stadium
10/08/2015 | @PennStateFball
VIDEO: James Franklin Practice Update - Indiana Week
10/07/2015 | @PennStateFball
Nittany Lion Wrestling Slates Season Kickoff Event for Oct. 23
10/08/2015 | @PennStateWREST
BLOG: Between the Post: Meet the Goalies of Penn State Men’s Soccer
10/08/2015 | @PennStateMSOC
Field Hockey to Host No. 8 Maryland Friday at 4 P.M.
10/07/2015 | @PennStateFH