Construction of the new indoor track within the Multi-Sport Facility at University Park began in April of 1998, and was completed in the summer of 1999. The new facility, near the outdoor track on Porter Road, includes a 200-meter track with spectator seating and amenities.
It also has basketball courts, locker rooms, a strength training room and storage, a turf field, and serves both the new indoor and the existing outdoor tracks. Both the men's and women's track teams practice and compete in this facility, which is also accessible to a variety of other college sports.
Quick Facts On The Indoor Track Building
- Hoffman-Popovich of Boalsburg and NBBJ of Columbus, Ohio designed the Multi-Sport Facilty & Horace Ashenfelter III Indoor Track.
- The venue allows the Nittany and Lady Lions to train and compete in a building that is among the most versatile in the nation.
- The building has all the features of a world-class facility, including six 42-inch lanes with hydraulically banked turns and eight 48-inch sprint lanes down the middle.
- The jumpers use dual long/triple jump runways and there are two pole vault runways.
- All running lanes and runways have a polyurethane surface.
- Permanent seating for 800 can be expanded because, at one end of the building, the structure extends beyond the track. This area has an artificial grass surface which allows for the training of field events and serves as an additional spectator seating area during competitions.
- Top Videos
Penn State-Temple Game Notes
08/31/2015 | @PennStateFball
No. 23 Men's Soccer Ties Navy, 1-1
08/30/2015 | @PennStateMSOC
No. 1 Women's Volleyball Claims Penn State Classic Title
08/29/2015 | @PennStateVBALL
No. 9 Virginia Outlasts No. 7 Penn State in Overtime
08/30/2015 | @PennStateFH
Students Can Purchase Temple Tickets Monday
08/27/2015 | @PennStateFball
VIDEO: Red Land Team Visits Practice; Kicking Challenge
08/29/2015 | @PennStateFball
BLOG: Nittany Lions Start Strong and Determined
08/31/2015 | @PennStateMSOC
No. 6 Penn State, No. 21 Duke Play to Draw
08/28/2015 | @PennStateWSOC