By Sean Flanery, GoPSUsports.com Student Staff Writer
UNIVERSITY PARK, PA. - Following a very busy spring break, which consisted of 11 games in nine days, Penn State head coach Robin Petrini and her roster will head to the West coast for their toughest test of the season.
Penn State (6-12) posted a combined 3-8 record in the Citrus Classic and Under Armour Showcase over its break. Now, the Blue and White will be making the trip to Fullerton, Calif. to compete in the Judi Garman Classic. Petrini's club will have its' hands full when they take to the mound with some of the best teams the country has to offer.
This is how Penn State's schedule sets up for the upcoming weekend:
No. 14 Arizona (18-5)
- Sophomore catcher Chelsea Goodacre has posted a season average of .394 while notching eight homeruns and 27 RBIs.
- Junior Shelby Babcock has posted a 2.39 ERA along with a terrific 9-2 record on the year.
No. 9 Texas (23-3)
- The Longhorns pitching staff features two top-15 pitchers in the country in:
- Senior Blaire Luna has posted a .99 ERA while compiling an 11-0 record.
- Senior Kim Bruins holds a 1.06 ERA and a 6-0 record on the mound.
No. 18 Washington (19-5)
- The Huskies feature one of the most prolific offenses in the country.
- They rank No. 11 in runs-per-game with 7.38 and are led by senior Ashlyn Watson who has compiled 11 of the teams 51 homeruns on the season.
- Led by SP Kirsten Verdun who has posted an 8-4 record alongside a 1.87 ERA
No. 1 Oklahoma (22-1)
- Pitching staff is regarded as the best in the country leading the nation with a team ERA of .80
- Features two of the county's top-five starting pitchers in senior Michelle Gacoigne (.70 ERA) and senior Keilani Ricketts (0.87 ERA)
- Is home to the eighth ranked offense in the country averaging 7.43 runs-per-game, which is led by Lauren Chamberlain who has blasted a nation-leading 13 homeruns so far this season.
Playing four top-25 teams in the five games this weekend should bring out the best in Petrini's club and provide fans with a view of what is to come the rest of the season. The road will be tough for Penn State in California, but the tournament should serve as an excellent test to prepare the Lions for Big Ten play, which is right around the corner. The Blue and White will take to the mound for their first game of the Judi Garman Classic this Friday at 3:30 p.m. EST.